Just lost one of my pullets. :(

danceswithronin

Crowing
May 24, 2018
Alabama
I have a temporary netted canopy over my run (that was being made into a permanent structure this weekend) and somehow one of the posts shifted and the netting got pulled down, leaving a foot and a half wide gap at the top of the fence. My golden laced Polish Elvira got out and my dogs got her. :hitPretty sure it was my Yorkshire terrier specifically, because he couldn't even face me when I was lecturing them about it. He literally turned his whole body away from me and hung his head and faced the wall of the house. The other dogs were just giving me neutral "I know you're mad and I'm sorry but I was not there" looks.

In any case I am finalizing the enclosure tomorrow and there will be no more escapees.

The saddest part to me is that she was so excited because I had just trimmed her feathers out of her face for the first time, which massively improved her vision. Not enough to escape a small quick dog in the dark though.

RIP Elvira. Shine on you crazy diamond. I loved you even though you were ridiculously hard to catch and hated to be held and wanted nothing to do with me.

20190514_181113.jpg

20190530_194643.jpg

20190530_194615.jpg

20190514_181401.jpg

So sorry for your loss. I am also dealing with a death tonight due to my negligence. I am very upset about it. I hope you get it secured this weekend. So may things happen that we cannot predict.

Thank you. I can't tell if the post shifted while I was entering the run earlier and I didn't notice, or if a squirrel that has been breaking into the run did it.

Tomorrow I'm cementing the aviary posts in and actually nailing up the panels of netting on a frame between them, rather than just having everything draped and tucked over the existing wrought iron fencing.

I'm mostly conflicted in my feeling towards the dogs. On the one hand, the terrier I suspect most strongly (my own personal dog in the pack) is just a dog doing what dogs naturally do and he's been around twelve years before chickens ever entered the picture. He doesn't bother the chickens as long as they're in the run.

On the other hand I'm totally repulsed he did it and can barely stand to look at him.

:hugs

Lost one of my pullets to genetic heart failure last year, and one of my Silkie chicks last month from failure to thrive. It's an awful thing- I'm sorry you lost your pet <3

Thank you. I try to be tough about it because I feel like some losses are inevitable when you're dealing with livestock, but I get very attached to my birds. My dad is really sad because the Polish was his favorite. The gardener was just over this afternoon and was complimenting the bird to him, my dad says it jinxed it.

Last edited:
Thank you. I can't tell if the post shifted while I was entering the run earlier and I didn't notice, or if a squirrel that has been breaking into the run did it.

Tomorrow I'm cementing the aviary posts in and actually nailing up the panels of netting on a frame between them, rather than just having everything draped and tucked over the existing wrought iron fencing.

I'm mostly conflicted in my feeling towards the dogs. On the one hand, the terrier I suspect most strongly (my own personal dog in the pack) is just a dog doing what dogs naturally do and he's been around twelve years before chickens ever entered the picture. He doesn't bother the chickens as long as they're in the run.

On the other hand I'm totally repulsed he did it and can barely stand to look at him.
Our cat has killed 5 or 6 baby bunnies this spring... leaving them on the front mat. (kind of odd having a "welcome" mat with dead rabbits on it all the time) It's awful to us but it's what he was made to do. Just keep a close eye on him around the chickens and someday he'll do something super sweet and you'll love him again ;)

Back
Top Bottom