Just moved chicks outside

rupert

Hatching
10 Years
Apr 29, 2009
So I just moved my chicks/pullets outside to their new coop on Sunday. There is a foot and a half plank that goes up into the hen house. It does have cleats 4-5 inches apart for them to grab. They have not figured this out and I'm wondering if there are things I could do to help w/ this or will they just get it? I have been concerned that they have not been getting enough food or water as the food is in the hen house and the water in the run. Any suggestions?

How old are the chicks...My six week old chicks picked it up no problem but I have heard some people will put treats down it so they walk down it to get the treats....Mine some times pass it altogether and just fly up to the top of there's.

I'm right with you. I just moved my 9 chicks out to their new coop and run today. I have (6) 7 week and (3) 4 weekers. I found that they meshed well when not around their familiar surroundings so I decided to move them all out at the same time so the older ones wouldn't pick on the little ones. One of my brave older ones was the first to check out the ramp and go into the coop first. I had them in the run while I put the finishing touches on the inside of their coop so they saw the coop second. After my first one checked it, out slowly 4 of the other ones went and checked it out. The other shyer ones I picked up and put in the door so that they could look at the coop and use the ramp when they wanted to come out so it wouldn't be so scary. Brave one is the only one who used the entire ramp to come back down to the ground from the coop, the other ones seemed to hop or fly almost to the top of the ramp. Hope all of our fuzzy butts do good tonight.

Back
Top Bottom