Just my luck! Power outage. HELP!

bre113

In the Brooder
5 Years
Mar 2, 2014
24 left to hatch, due today, three drying currently, and 9 dried in the ducked. How do I keep them warm when it's a power outage!?

Sorry about the problems you are having... somethings people have done/ suggested.
Can you wrap the incubator in towels/blankets or other things to insulate it as much as possible ... at least on the bottom and sides (you do need to leave the vents open).
If the power has not been off that long you should still have some hot water in the system, tap that and put it in hot water bottles or whatever and put that in around the incubator.
Put them in car and crank up heat... you can also get these little inverters from places like Wal-Mart that work in cigarette lighters... or battery and inverter.
Those chemical hand warmer packet things.
Does your computer have a battery backup you could use?
Candles in glass jars (carefully!), for keeping small chicks warm, they will huddle near the glass.
If you have a fireplace (or place to make one outside) heat up water, rocks in the water (carefully) etc
Hope your chicks are OK.

Our power was out last night and my chicks looked cold. Fortunately they are not newly hatched but we still had hot water so I made a hot water bottle for them to lay on. I also have a hot water heater coil that hooks up to the cigarette lighter in my car or I heat up water on the wood stove. I hope the chickies are good!

Thanks y'all! Power was off for 2 1/2 hours. Wrapped the incubator, took out all the stronger chick, left the two week ones in. One of my weak ones died but I didn't expect it to make it anyway. Hopefully the eggs are still good!

Get you a inverter big enough to run the incubator, brooder or what ever or one big enough to run several----get it hooked up---get a drop cord or two---test it then you can unhook and store it and cords where you can grab it/hook it up if the power goes out. Mine has save me twice in the last month with 200 to 300 eggs in the incubator/hatcher.

Awsome idea! Might have to do that! We plan to invest in better equipment if these first few trials go well, so that will probably be something we get! Thanks

Awsome idea! Might have to do that! We plan to invest in better equipment if these first few trials go well, so that will probably be something we get! Thanks
I do have a generator, but the inverter is quiet. I have a 36 volt battery operated golfcart that I use with the inverter---I hook across 2 6 volt batteries-----hours later if the power is not back on----I rehook across 2 more batteries, and I still have 2 more batteries if needed. Works real good, But a Inverter can be used with a boat battery, car battery, etc.

Get you a inverter big enough to run the incubator, brooder or what ever or one big enough to run several----get it hooked up---get a drop cord or two---test it then you can unhook and store it and cords where you can grab it/hook it up if the power goes out. Mine has save me twice in the last month with 200 to 300 eggs in the incubator/hatcher.

x2

I have an inverter and 2 charged car batteries on stand by when incubating, no noise and no hassle, that alone will get me many hours of backup and if power isn't restored by then I will fire up the generator or idle the Hummer (built in inverter) and run an extension cord... My advice always have a backup plan, it's cheap insurance...

Back
Top Bottom