Just out of curiousity...

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Lothiriel, Aug 15, 2011.

1. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    This guy was my very first rooster. He's long gone now, but I never knew what breed he was. Any ideas? Guesses? As a chick he was chipmunk patterned. For a while I thought maybe he was an EE, but he had yellow legs, no muff at all, and not a real red cape on the shoulders. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 15, 2011
  2. Countrypunk92

Countrypunk92 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    Portland, tennessee
    Well first off, Im sorry for your loss.. and he is gorgous. i dont know if this is true, but looks alot like a barred rovk/ rhode island mix.

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Not easter egger. Very handsome, my guess is he was a mixed breed. I'd be great to be able to re-create him!

4. Lothiriel

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    Ah, it wasn't much loss at all. [​IMG] He was mean. And it was like 7 years ago.

His "sister" (we called her that because she was the only other chipmunk chick and was in with him) was a reddish brown with black specks, if that helps. Though there is a great probability that they weren't related at all... [​IMG]

5. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    I agree he looks a lot like some pics I've seen of Rhode Island Red/Barred Rock cross roosters.

I love the crele-ish color! [​IMG]

6. chefchick

chefchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    I have two just like him. They are mixed breed RIR and BR, and both meaner than snot. Just waiting for them to get big enough to go to freezer camp.

7. Lothiriel

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    Ok, that's pretty cool. Thank you all for your input -- I'd never have guessed it myself! [​IMG]

I looked it up on Google and I wasn't able to find any rooster pictures, but the hens they came up with looked nearly identical to his sister. So I really think you all are right!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by