Mystery chicks- what breed produces feathers like this??

Indigopearl

In the Brooder
Jul 14, 2023
Janesville, WI
We hatched these 5 week old chicks from eggs given to us by a friend whose mom has an assortment of chickens. He said she has EEs and silkies amongst others he didn’t know the breed. I also know he has RIRs. But that’s all the info I’ve got. These chicks all have 4 toes, smooth legs, and single combs as far as I can tell.

I’m especially curious about Paloma (first chick pics) because she’s extra fluffy but doesn’t look anything like a silky or any other fluffy breed/mix that I can find. Pipit and Plover are also somewhat fluffy- is this just a normal part of some chicks’ development that will go away as they feather out more??

Guesses/info about any of these girls is wholly welcome!

Attachments

• IMG_5954.jpeg
    IMG_5954.jpeg
    930 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_5951.jpeg
    IMG_5951.jpeg
    472.5 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_5945.jpeg
    IMG_5945.jpeg
    573 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_5944.jpeg
    IMG_5944.jpeg
    659.6 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_5960.jpeg
    IMG_5960.jpeg
    253.7 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_5972.jpeg
    IMG_5972.jpeg
    334.2 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_5946.jpeg
    IMG_5946.jpeg
    364.2 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_5941.jpeg
    IMG_5941.jpeg
    548.6 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_5939.jpeg
    IMG_5939.jpeg
    473.6 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_5934.jpeg
    IMG_5934.jpeg
    408.7 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_5932.jpeg
    IMG_5932.jpeg
    716.8 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_5930.jpeg
    IMG_5930.jpeg
    459 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_5931.jpeg
    IMG_5931.jpeg
    562.9 KB · Views: 25
Things I forgot to say: Starling (black chick) has some rust colored feathering on her chest. Pipit (3rd chick pictured) is significantly smaller than everyone else.

It's difficult to say with mixes. The brown ones could be Rhode Island reds crossed with Buff Orpingtons, as one possibility. I see no sign that they have any Silkie or Easter egger in them.

The black on is probably a cross of a black breed like Australorp or maybe a black sex link female crossed with something else. I'm not seeing signs of Silkie or Easter egger in that one, either.

It's difficult to say with mixes. The brown ones could be Rhode Island reds crossed with Buff Orpingtons, as one possibility. I see no sign that they have any Silkie or Easter egger in them.

The black on is probably a cross of a black breed like Australorp or maybe a black sex link female crossed with something else. I'm not seeing signs of Silkie or Easter egger in that one, either.
Are the

Thank you for your reply! Are feathers that fan out at the edges like this typical for most breeds then? I was searching for pictures of feathers similar to these and couldn’t find any. Is that just because people expect feathers to look like this so they’re not posting zoomed in pics? I’m really new to this so I appreciate whatever chicken knowledge you can impart!

Attachments

• IMG_5944.jpeg
    IMG_5944.jpeg
    472 KB · Views: 24
Are the

Thank you for your reply! Are feathers that fan out at the edges like this typical for most breeds then? I was searching for pictures of feathers similar to these and couldn’t find any. Is that just because people expect feathers to look like this so they’re not posting zoomed in pics? I’m really new to this so I appreciate whatever chicken knowledge you can impart!
Looks like normal juvenile feathering to me.

Back
Top Bottom