Just panting? Or worse?

The Welch Chickens

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
Mar 18, 2023
Rhode Island
Do chickens usually pant with their tongues sticking out? I noticed one of our 10 week olds doing this today even though it wasn't very hot out; she stopped after I gave them some strawberries and fresh water.

They can if really hot.

Where are you keeping her and what is the temperature?
Did they run out of water?

Sounds like she may have been overheating, so you may want to consider supplying fresh cool water a couple of times a day and seeing that they have plenty of shade during the heat of the day.
It was 80 out with a breeze. They all happened to be coming out of the coop into the run when I saw her pant. They didn't run out of water, we are always checking it and supplying as needed. They always have access to shade and a dust bath.

Do you think she just got hot hanging out in the coop for too long?

It was 80 out with a breeze. They all happened to be coming out of the coop into the run when I saw her pant. They didn't run out of water, we are always checking it and supplying as needed. They always have access to shade and a dust bath.

Do you think she just got hot hanging out in the coop for too long?
She may have gotten too hot in the coop, is there a lot of ventilation?

I'd just keep watch on them to see how it's going. Some birds seem to tolerate warmer temps better than others.
While 80 is not **HOT** it's not cool either. So observe your birds a frequently as you can to make sure they are doing o.k.

She may have gotten too hot in the coop, is there a lot of ventilation?

I'd just keep watch on them to see how it's going. Some birds seem to tolerate warmer temps better than others.
While 80 is not **HOT** it's not cool either. So observe your birds a frequently as you can to make sure they are doing o.k.
There is a lot of ventilation in the coop, I assume she just got hot sleeping with the others. I will keep an eye on them this summer.

Thank you so much for your help, I really appreciate it! :frow

Back
Top Bottom