Panting while laying - new layer possible prolapse

Starshollow

Chirping
Apr 22, 2023
Last night I went out to my meat chickens and noticed one of my layers ruffled and staring not moving.

***graphic pic below***

I kept an eye while I did food and water foenthe meats and she didn't move. I stopped and turned and she had turned around And I saw this

20230809_193401.jpg

I have never had prolapse vent before but that was my immediate thought. I went to the garage got a dog crate set it up with bedding and got a bath and towel ready.

When I went back out to get her all the grey ones (they all look similar) all looked and acted fine.

I tried grabbing a few of them to see but their vents looked fine.

I have 5 grey sassos in total 4 were RTL I have had for a month and one that I got in April as a chick. I have a mixed from of 6 RTL from April all laying regularly.
8 RTL I got a month ago. And 21 4.5 month Olds I got as chicks in April.

Yesterday I got 16 eggs. So I know a couple of my babies are starting to lay.

My husband read that if it is a smaller prolapse it can sometimes heal itself. They all went to bed fine. All came out this am fine.

I have been going out to check and watch them often and all seems ok.

There was one in the next box and when i came back out 30 kin later she was still in there. She was panting off and on.

Is this normal for a new layer? Or would this be the prolapse lady. I am very concerned about catching the prolapse ASAP.

I do believe if struggling to lay and you help her it will most certainly happen again,thats what vet told me .i would go through basics ,worming with medication in it for week ,fluxi ,grit ,

What do you feed, including treats?
Do you provide oyster shell?

If you can figure out which hen is prolapsing, give her extra Calcium for a few days.
You can find Calcium Citrate with D3 in the vitamin aisle of stores like Walmart, CVS, etc. Give 1 tablet daily, just pull down on her wattles, pop the tablet into the beak and let her swallow.

Do monitor her closely and it the tissue doesn't go back in, then you want to keep it moist with an oil or ointment. It's important that she get Calcium and stay hydrated.

Back
Top Bottom