Just rescued a duck... HELP!!! (never had a duck before)

Aflac is doing MUCH better. He has folded the injured leg underneath him, but he still refuses to put any weight on it. He eats and eats. He loves my layer mash, lettuce, and I had to move my dog's food because he kept hissing at my dog when he ate.

I no longer believe he was someone's pet either. As he is healing, he is showing his wild colors more and more. He hisses at me when I walk into the room and if I touch him he lurches to his good foot extends his wings for balance and tries to hobble away.

His poop isn't green anymore, it's more of a tan color. I gave him some of my chicken's grit too.

He has been a welcome distraction, as the other day I let my hens out to free range and something ate two of my hens including my favorite one. My husband has promised me that we will re-stock our flock come spring.

Anyway, Aflac is doing well. The swelling in his joint in his leg is MUCH reduced, and he has started actually flexing it.

Thank you all for allll your help.

Aflac may come around eventually, just keep feeding him. The fact that he's fighting you a little is a sign that he's feeling better.

Sorry about your hens, though.

I wonder if you could add some epsom salt to his bath water and let him soak in it, would probably help his leg and I know it will kill lice and mites you would just have to keep him from drinking alot of the water.

How wonderful for your new buddy that you rescued him...Sounds like he is on the mend!...Thanks for being a caring person and not just walking away!...Who knows maybe someday he can return to the place you found him and rejoin his flock!

When my rouen was injured she let me pick her up and hold her and take care of her injuries. Once she started to heal she let me know that she was all set with the holding and touching portion of the program! She was quick to let me know she wanted to be back outside too - she would waddle over to the glass door and bonk it with her bill! Now that she's all healed up she's back to her old "DON'T TOUCH ME" self. She's been a pet since day 1. We handled her everyday but she never liked it much. Aflac may have been a domestic - just an "independent" one!

Aflac update...

So today he took a nice long warm bath, and swam around a bit... he doesn't have much water resistance, so I towel dried him and them took him out to sunbathe.

I also found him hobbling around my bathroom pooping on my floor last night, so today, he has been moved outside into a nice comfy but large cage. He has shelter, and water, and food... and grit, but he is still on pine bedding.

He hobbles a lot better than he did when I brought him home. He eats good, and I find that during his baths he actually likes me a lot more.

I have some pics on my phone, once I get them to my computer I will add them.

I was thinking about Aflac this morning and wondering how he was doing.

Glad he's getting better and seeming more happy with you. He will probably be right at home outside.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom