Just sharing a nice lunch hour experience

gryeyes

Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers
10 Years
Sep 22, 2009
My slice of heaven in Somerset, CA
One of my co-workers and I left the office for lunch and drove down to a local river boat ramp next to a sort of park. We were there about 10 minutes before I heard the unmistakeable "peeps" of ducklings, in amongst the magpie calls, the scrub jay screams, auto engines, boat engines, slapping of water against the river sides.

There were a trio of wild mallards basking on the side of the river. About 20 feet out, five tiny ducklings paddled around a single female. They were TINY! Could NOT have been more than 3 days old, if that. We watched them for quite a long time, getting nervous when a very most intrepid duckling took off out towards the middle of the river all on its lonesome. Mama started quacking and the other four came to her, and the flotilla headed off after the adventurer.

A motorized skiff went by, and created wavelets. The little duckling bobbed and swirled in the eddies. Mama quacked some more. (I suddenly know why females quack so loud and males just sound husky - Mamas NEED to have their voices heard!! Daddies just need the little ones to get off his back....)

Mama and the four siblings swirled around in the eddies, making some headway, whilst the wayward duckling got turned around and headed back to them.

She gathered them up and off they swam, back towards the safety of the rocks near the boat ramp.

It was a great lunch break, albeit fraught with anxiety for a few minutes there.

When I get home, I'm going to hug my two Cayugas, just "because." And give them some peas.

So cute!
love.gif

What a great way to spend your lunch break... Watching a new duckie family...

I only get half an hour for my break...Just enough time for me to drive home...Check on all the babies and top up food and water containers... I just had time for a very quick cuddle with a few today as well.... It sure is a great way to make the afternoon not seem so long when I do go home on my lunch break- as Im not so worried about how they all are at home without me ..... Anyway...Its back to work for me now...

We frequently go down to the Holston River here and watch the wild Mallards and the Canada Geese with their new babies. The "awwww factor" is just so darn cute! I'm glad your lunch hour was so relaxing and harrowing both!

Laurie

Back
Top Bottom