Just signed up

Charles n Charg

Hatching
6 Years
Jan 3, 2014
Just signed up to be a member today, thought I am familiar with BYC. I do a lot of searching on the web for different info on chickens and always ended up on this site at one point or another. So, I figured I would finally just sign up.
We have 6 australorp hens and 1 cochin rooster. Why a cochin rooster? We've had bad luck with mean roosters so we set out to find a nice one. We found a brother who raises and breeds chickens and asked him if he had a nice rooster. He laughed and said, "I think we all have mean rooster stories." He had a cochin rooster that he guaranteed would be nice. So here we are.
We've had laying hens for about 6-7 years and started raising broilers 2 years ago. It's nice to be able to provide breakfast (eggs) and supper (broilers) for a growing family.
Our coop consists of an old shed that has seen better days, but it gets the job done. We are lucky that we live out in the country and have space to add more chickens or other livestock as we grow our little homestead.

images
to BYC!

Gotta love those Australorps! They are all I keep.

Great to have you aboard and enjoy BYC!

Welcome to BYC - enjoyed your introductory story. Everyone who has raised chickens has 'bad' rooster stories.

They had been until they went into molt. Haven't seen good egg production from them since. Their first winter they laid pretty much right through winter, but not this winter. I just changed the light from a CFL to a halogen, hopefully that helps.
idunno.gif

Back
Top Bottom