Just sold my first eggs!

gritsar

Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!
14 Years
Nov 9, 2007
SW Arkansas
The first ones I've sold and not given away.
The old librarian just called to say that both she and the new librarian would each like a dozen.
D.gif

Yesterday I told the hens to remember it's wintertime and to stop laying because we are overrun in eggs again.
Now I have to go explain to them I made a mistake.
tongue.png

Isn't it fun. I too started selling eggs this week and I am encouraging the girls to ramp up production. HaHa. I'm keeping my egg money is a little jar....I'm so darn proud.

There is already talk about what kind of chickens we will get next spring and how big of an addition to put on the coop.

I already have a list of folks that want eggs, and I don't have any yet.

I sure can't wait to finally get out to the farm permenantly so that I can get this thing going. The days are ticking by too slowly right now.

Quote:
Isn't that the way it always seem to be?
I'm already dreaming about spring and we just got our first cold spell this week.
I'd just hibernate until spring, but I can't convince the critters to do it with me.

Quote:
"

It is wonderful to have sales of eggs, a nice way to off-set the cost of raising chickens and at times to have a little extra change in the pocket.

So I say to you, Job well done.

Now, do you report it as income?

I don't.

Quote:
"

It is wonderful to have sales of eggs, a nice way to off-set the cost of raising chickens and at times to have a little extra change in the pocket.

So I say to you, Job well done.

Now, do you report it as income?

I don't.

As income? You've got to be kidding.

If you really want to itemize your tax return I think there is a schedule f for farm income. Take all income minus all costs. Income is obvious but costs of producing eggs on small scale are enormus. Feed, water, labor, electricity, vet, depletion of land, use of land (property tax on portion of acerage used), fuel cost to pick up feed, books and research material (portion of internet bill to connect to this site), and devide the cost of the coop by (I think for buildings it is 37 years) 37 then add on annual maintenance and repair....

If you need to show income on a tax return because you anticipate applying for a business loan for this in the future because you hope to turn it into something much larger or are selling to general public in market situations like farmer's market then deffinately consult tax professional and lawyer for help in making things legal in terms of business licence.

How many people make a proffit on their eggs after all expenses?

Back
Top Bottom