Just Some of the "Kids" Today (PICS)

Great looking flock you've got there Cyn!!!
smile.png

Then you think I should put a warning label on each dozen Blue Orp eggs I send out, LOL?
big_smile.png
This is nowhere near all the flock, just the snow-eaters today. They were having the best time, like an icee from the 7-11 store, LOL.

Cyn I have not heard the story of Hawkie do you have a link or something? I know you rescude him and I want to hear the story of his rise to superstardom !
tongue.png

Thanks,
Hen

No link, Henry. I call it a rescue even though I paid for him because I think he wouldn't have been long for this world if left where he was much longer. Some 4H kid, who should have known better, had him for sale, along with a bunch of other chickens.
The other birds, except for a bunch of RIRs whose entire pen was basically under water, were in cages. Hawkeye was in a muddy pen, back under heavy tree cover with a huge turkey. No sun could reach back there. Their water was a trough of completely black, muddy water. His comb and wattles were damaged, presumably from the turkey. One wattle is very thick and wrinkled up with scar tissue and parts of his comb were missing and he had a fresh wound on the very back of it when I saw him. He was filthy and although I didn't know it then, covered in lice. He had favus, a fungal infection of the face and comb. The kid had to catch him with a butterfly net, my sweet Hawkeye that just lets me pick him up.
Hawkeye had only been fed corn all his life so his hackles and saddle feathers were extremely brassy/gold. His face was pale, but his eyes were very bright and clear. He was under quarantine for over a month, eating high quality feed, getting wormed, dusted with DE and generally observed for any problems. We treated the favus, also. Amazingly, he wasn't really ill, although we thought he had canker in his throat once, but it was just clumps of feed stuck to the sides of his throat, LOL. Here are pics of Hawkeye the day I got him, then after a month of proper care.
HAWKEYE BEFORE:
DCP_4780.jpg

HAWKEYE three weeks AFTER:
DCP_4963.jpg

HAWKEYE a Month After Being Released From Quarantine:
DCP_5126.jpg

Currently I have 31 that I'm keeping, plus some other older chicks that are for sale. Of the 31, seven pullets are only 10 weeks old and my Zane is 14 weeks old. The rest are adults. After my April hatch, those numbers should rise a bit. I intend to keep about 15 pullets from that hatch and sell the rest. THEN, I'm out of room except in Suede's harem. There will be room for a couple more girls in there. Well, I need a couple more-there's room for maybe 8 more.

Nice thank you he looks so much better like night and day to think he was about to die but you saw great potential in him and he is now with a flock of beatiful ladies and his babies are in high demand wow you should right a biography.

Henry

Thanks, Henry. Hawkeye is just a good, sturdy, utility Barred Rock, certainly not show quality, but he's calm, even-tempered, easy to handle, fatherly to the youngsters, and the best protector for my girls I could ask for, which is the main reason I got a rooster in the first place. I hope he has many, many years with us.

Back
Top Bottom