just starting out...

katefreya

Hatching
9 Years
Sep 28, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I am hoping to get some chickens in the next few weeks. Can I buy different types of chickens from different places or do they all need to be from the same place? I had a few different breeds in mind that I wanted. I do want young chickens, maybe ones that have just started laying. I just don't know that being totally new to this that I would be very good at dealing with fighting chickens. I would very much appreciate any advice. Thanks!

You might want to get your birds all from one place unless you are set up for quarantining several birds at once! You would have to do this to make sure they are all free from diseases and that can take up to 4-6 weeks. This is just to be on the safe side. Otherwise just start small and add on! I understand that you want eggs soon, but if you really want several different breeds at once and immediately chicks would be the way to go. Good luck!

Quote:
I agree totally.Getting chickens from different sources could lead to trouble. If you get day old chicks from one supplier you can get the variety that you want and since they will be raised together you avoid a lot of the problems of disease and fighting. I also think that day old chicks take more time and commitment but the payback is greater. You get to see your babies grow into mature chickens and bond with them along the way. Mine are 5 weeks old today and I wouldn't trade the first 5 weeks for anything. They love me as much as chickens can and I love being their keeper.

Last edited:
I agree. I got all my ladies from the same place. They were only 7 weeks and they are around 14 now, so still have some time wait for eggs. But gives us a chance to get to know each other and it's so fun to watch them grow. Where I live, there are lots of places you can buy chicks that are all ready started and ready to live outside. Check around where you live. I'm sure you can find a place that you can find a variety from the same seller.

I say all from the same place too. I got my very first flock from two different sources. I didn't know that the first flock had had Coryza in it. When I added birds from another source they immediately got sick. That seller asked me to return the birds and she culled them. The person who sold me the first birds then informed me that she had had Coryza in her flock but thought she had taken care of the problem. Ended up one bird died and she resold the others!!! I had to bleach everything out and start over. It was heartbreaking because we really got excited and attached to our chicks.

Back
Top Bottom