Just the goose?

I’d stick with females then. Females can be a bit moody but they are nothing like a gander. And boy do those eggs make awesome omelets. And don’t ever run from a goose stand your ground they are mainly bluff. The females anyway unless of course they have goslings.

I definitely will defer to your experiences. Thank you for sharing them. I will try for just females and hopefully I get them.

Does a broody goose take goslings like a broody chicken may? Do geese go broody? I guess I know nothing about that part of goose keeping yet.

Yes geese go broody and they are wonderful mothers the ganders are wonderful papas too and they work together to raise their young it really is a pleasure to watch (from a distance) lol. Even when my two had their 2 goslings my female never tried to bite me or attack. The 2 goslings they raised were 2 I brought home as day olds. Even now if I am on my phone and Missy hears ducklings or goslings she comes running.

Aww, that does sound nice. Can you give them goslings to raise that they didn't hatch? Or are they too smart for that. I will be curious to see how my trip reacts to seeing new babies if I get some next year. I never knew what wonderful creatures they were. :)

I am so glad you like them now I know you were a little worried. Yep they will take them even if not their own. You just have to let the females meet the babies through fencing for about a week then most likely they will be attached for ever. Mostly I was worried at first when I brought our new goslings home they’d step on them my gander is a clutch. They didn’t actually get them till they were 3 weeks old. They spent time with them outside daily but I am a worry wort and wanted to make sure they were sturdy enough before they got them for good. The night I put the goslings inside the goose house with the 2 adults was so special Missy laid down and the 2 goslings went an laid right next to her. Took Sam about 15 min to settle after that they were a family!

About dreading collecting eggs...
My geese have never given me the time of day when I've collected eggs. They could care less. They'll make nests and lay in them but apparently are not interested in motherhood at all. I wish they were, maybe this spring will be different

About dreading collecting eggs...
My geese have never given me the time of day when I've collected eggs. They could care less. They'll make nests and lay in them but apparently are not interested in motherhood at all. I wish they were, maybe this spring will be different
This is what I'm hoping for. :)

I am so glad you like them now I know you were a little worried. Yep they will take them even if not their own. You just have to let the females meet the babies through fencing for about a week then most likely they will be attached for ever. Mostly I was worried at first when I brought our new goslings home they’d step on them my gander is a clutch. They didn’t actually get them till they were 3 weeks old. They spent time with them outside daily but I am a worry wort and wanted to make sure they were sturdy enough before they got them for good. The night I put the goslings inside the goose house with the 2 adults was so special Missy laid down and the 2 goslings went an laid right next to her. Took Sam about 15 min to settle after that they were a family!
That would be wonderful if my females take to the new ones. It would make my job a lot easier. Those baby geese made tons of poop on my yard. :D

Back
Top Bottom