Just threw my pullets out!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by BillT, Dec 3, 2011.

1. BillT

BillT Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    Sweetwater, TN
    Before you get ready to shoot me.---- I just threw my 7 week old pullets out of the coop for the first time.
    I think it's about time they were out in the run.
    Of course, the fun will be tonight when I have to catch them to put them back inside. ( I remember what happened with the last bunch)
    It takes a couple of days of this before they go in and out by themselves, but that's the fun of having chicks!!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Do like Motel 6 and leave a light on for them. They'll sometimes gravitate toward the light from the outside darkness.

3. BillT

Apr 14, 2010
    Sweetwater, TN
    Fred's Hens :

Do like Motel 6 and leave a light on for them. They'll sometimes gravitate toward the light from the outside darkness.

That's true, but the coop is about 4 feet off the ground and it takes a little while for them to get used to the ramp.​

4. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    Do you give them treats? If so put a couple of treats down and start moving to the coop. When they are all and I mean every one of them is accounted for start throwing the treats inside the coop. If you do this each day they will get the idea at night this will be done and they will come to the coop to get the treat.

5. BillT

Apr 14, 2010
    Sweetwater, TN
    They're all back inside.

Repeat tomorrow.

6. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    Quote:That's true, but the coop is about 4 feet off the ground and it takes a little while for them to get used to the ramp.

Bill,

You are a smart man. Listening and taking advice from others is difficult at times but your hearing from experience and it doesn't need to be hard to be good.

Animals respond to treats almost a 100% of the time. Bribes almost always work. Place a treat at the bottom of the ramp and keep going and so will your little kids too. Did the treat thing get them back to the coop? Well with treats work without a doubt on most things you want them to do. All you have to do is use the treats like Dr. Pavlovas did with the dogs. Make a call sound like a little bell with a follow up with a treat and the bell sound when they come to it. Then keep re-enforcing it everytime you want them to do something like go up the ladder. The bell sound when they come to the ladder a treat and a bell sound. If you do this for a while every time you make that sound with the bell guess what they do........ Your right they come a running. Good luck Bill with training the kids. The theory works very well.

7. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:Its kind of fun chasing them around till they go in. I think my neighbors would sit on their porch and watch me running around shooing they in the house only to have 2 go in and the two out. It don't take that long. Mine had big girls to follow after they got the hang of it. Have fun
    Michele

8. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    I think bribing is great and do it unashamedly to get my animals and birds to do what I want. There are very few chickens who will not literally and metaphorically eat out of your hand for them.

I don't just bribe chickens, I bribe sheep. We have a little flock of about 40 sheep in total. The ones which we had from lambs are a breeze, but newly purchased, and often very nervous,sheep are a nightmare in the absence of a working dog (We have a PET Border Collie). So...digestive biscuits....they love them. Within a few days I have the newcomers following me anywhere for their favourite treats.

No shame....bribery is the answer!

9. BillT

Apr 14, 2010
    Sweetwater, TN
    Yesterday I threw all 26 of them out again. Last night all but one came in by themselves!!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

I only had to catch one. [​IMG]

10. triplepurpose

triplepurpose Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2008
    Isn't it easier to just leave the door open and let them figure out how to go out by themselves and then go back in by themselves. That's what I do... They learn better and it's less work for you, less stress for them... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by