Just told I have 14 days OR ELSE (Chicken Laws in South FLORIDA)

Discussion in 'Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances' started by DragonEggs, Jul 8, 2010.

1. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

Taze a rooster! [​IMG] He should be spurred!

2. DragonEggs

DragonEggs Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2010
    Borger, TX
    We can't find our exact zoning on the map but it's either residential or gray. That small statement also only says Farm Animals, and the only definition that includes "domesticated poultry" (not specifically chickens) is under "livestock"

3. New2Chckns

New2Chckns New Egg

Jul 8, 2010
    Quote:I just looked at the link you provided and went to Section 10 - and copied some of the section paragraphs here:

Sec. 10-1. Definitions.
    The following words, terms and phrases, when used in this chapter, shall have the meanings ascribed to them in this section, except where the context clearly indicates a different meaning:
    Animal means every living dumb creature both domestic and wild.
    At large means an animal off the premises of the owner, unless accompanied by an attendant who shall have such animal firmly held by a collar and leash.
    Domesticated household pets or domesticated animals means dogs, cats, birds, reptiles, rabbits, guinea pigs, hamsters, fish and turtles, but shall not include livestock or exotic or wild animals which would require a permit from the state allowing such animals to be sold or possessed. Keep, possess or maintain means possession of animals described in this chapter for any length of time within the corporate limits of the town and shall not be limited to keeping, possessing or maintaining such animals as household pets.
    Livestock means all animals of the equine, bovine or swine class, and includes, but is not limited to, goats, sheep, mules, horses, hogs, pigs, cattle and domesticated poultry.
    Owner means any person owning, keeping, harboring or otherwise maintaining an animal. In any prosecution under this chapter where it shall be found that an animal is in the custody or under control of a minor, it shall be presumed that the owner of such animal is the parent or legal guardian of such minor.
    (Ord. No. 9-96, § 1(4-1), 5-14-96; Ord. No. 21-09, § 1, 1-12-10)
    Cross references: Definitions generally, § 1-2.

Sec. 10-8. Raising or boarding of animals or fowl.
    The raising or boarding of animals or fowl is prohibited except where boarding is incidental to the operation of a veterinarian's office.
    (Ord. No. 9-96, § 1(4-9), 5-14-96)

Sec. 10-9. Keeping certain animals prohibited; exceptions.
    No person shall keep, possess, feed or maintain any live animal within the town other than domesticated household pets or domesticated animals. Domesticated household pets or domesticated animals may be kept, possessed and maintained as household pets within the town so long as they are kept, possessed and maintained in compliance with the provisions of this chapter provided these household pets do not constitute a nuisance to neighbors because of excessive noise or odors. Proper sanitary measures shall be observed and followed at all times in connection with the keeping, maintaining, feeding or possessing of such pets. This provision shall not preclude the feeding and maintaining of feral cat colonies permitted and authorized by the town as part of an authorized program specifically designated by the town council for the control and regulation of feral cats within the town.
    (Ord. No. 9-96, § 1(4-3), 5-14-96; Ord. No. 9-03, § 1, 2-11-03; Ord. No. 7-08, § 1, 4-8-08)

Now, with the aforementioned brought to light; here’s an interesting regulation which goes 180 to the above:

Sec. 10-2. Declaration of town as a bird sanctuary; violation.
    (a) It is declared that all territory embraced within the corporate limits of the town shall be a bird sanctuary.
    (b) It shall be unlawful for any person within the town to shoot, trap or in any manner kill, wound or maim any bird of any kind, or at any time to throw at any birds of any kind any missile with slingshots or any other weapon, or to disturb their eggs or their young or their nests.
    (Ord. No. 9-96, § 1(4-2), 5-14-96)

Does this include the code enforcers?

4. DragonEggs

May 11, 2010
    Borger, TX
    Is that for Palm Beach County? That looks like the one I read for West Palm Beach. Theres also a North Palm Beach and Palm Beach Gardens but we're not within any of those cities.

5. DragonEggs

May 11, 2010
    Borger, TX
    This is what I found for Palm Beach County

Sec. 21. Livestock.
    (a) Livestock fences. Every owner of livestock shall erect and/or maintain a fence to contain and
    confine all livestock kept or maintained on his/her premises. Such fence shall be sufficiently strong and
    substantial so as to prevent egress of livestock. Failure to so erect and/or maintain the fence in reasonably good
    condition shall be deemed a violation of this chapter. The owner of livestock shall, within twenty-four (24)
    hours of initial warning from the division, repair or erect a fence and/or make arrangements for the placement of
    livestock so as to have the livestock confined. If the fence is not repaired or erected, or arrangements have not
    been made for the placement of livestock within the twenty-four-hour period, the owner may receive a civil
    citation.
    (b) Livestock at large. Any owner of livestock who unlawfully, intentionally, knowingly or
    negligently permits the same to run at large or stray upon any street, roadway, right-of-way, other public area or
    the private property of another without consent shall be deemed to be in violation of this chapter.
    (b) Livestock at large. Any owner of livestock who unlawfully, intentionally, knowingly or
    negligently permits the same to run at large or stray upon any street, roadway, right-of-way, other public area or
    the private property of another without consent shall be deemed to be in violation of this chapter.
    (c) Authority to impound livestock running at large or strays. It shall be the duty of the sheriff or his
    deputies, or any other law enforcement officer of the county and/or the division to pick up, confine, hold and
    impound any livestock found to be running at large or straying, to be disposed of as hereinafter provided.
    (d) Disposition of impounded livestock.
    (1) Upon impounding of any livestock by the division, the division shall forthwith serve written
    notice upon the owner, advising such owner of the location or place where the livestock is being
    held and impounded, of the amount due by reason of such impounding and that unless such
    livestock be redeemed within three (3) days from the date thereof that the same shall be offered
    for sale.
    (2) In the event the owner of such livestock is unknown or cannot be found, service upon the owner
    shall be obtained by once publishing a notice in a newspaper of general circulation where the
    livestock is impounded (holidays excluded). Such notice shall be in substantially the following
    form:
    "To Whom it May Concern:
    You are hereby notified that the following described livestock (giving full and accurate
    description of same, including marks and brands) is now impounded at (giving location where
    livestock is impounded) and the amount due by reason of such impounding is ________ dollars.
    The above-described livestock will, unless redeemed within three (3) days from date hereof, be
    offered for sale at public auction to the highest and best qualified bidder for cash.
    (DATE)
    of Palm Beach County, Florida."
    (3) Unless the impounded livestock is redeemed within three (3) days from date of notice, the
    division shall forthwith give notice of sale thereof which shall be held not less than five (5) days
    nor more than ten (10) days (excluding Sundays and holidays) and by posting a copy of such
    notice at the main courthouse. Such notices of sale shall be in substantially the following form:
    "(Name of owner, if known, otherwise, To Whom it May Concern)
    You are hereby notified that the Animal Care and Control Division will offer for sale and sell at
    public sale to the highest and best qualified bidder for cash the following described livestock
    (giving full and accurate description of each head of livestock) at ________ o'clock ________
    M. (the hour of sale to be between 11:00 A.M. and 2:00 P.M., Eastern Time) on the ________
    day of ________ at the following place ________ (which place shall be where the livestock is
    impounded or at the place provided by the Board for the taking up and keeping of such livestock)
    to satisfy a claim in the sum of ________ for fees, expenses for feeding and care and costs
    hereof.
    (DATE)
    of Palm Beach County, Florida."
    (e) Livestock at large, fees. The fees allowed for impounding, serving notice, care and feeding,
    advertising, personnel time and disposing of impounded animals shall be determined by resolution of the board.
    The owner of livestock is responsible for all costs incurred and payment of said costs must be made prior to the
    release of the impounded livestock.
    (f) Bidder requirements. Bidders are required to pre-register and pre-qualify with the division. The
    division has the authority of final approval for the auction and release of any animals in its custody.
    (g) Failure to secure purchaser or insufficient funds to defray certain costs. If there be no qualified
    bidder for such livestock at the sale aforesaid, the division shall either offer the livestock for adoption, or kill, or
    cause to be killed, the same and shall dispose of the carcass thereof. If there be any money received by the
    division on account of the disposal, the same shall be disbursed in the manner hereinafter provided; and, if there
    be no ready sale for the animal, the division shall forthwith offer the animal for adoption, or its carcass, to a
    public institution of the county, state or municipality or to a private charitable institution.
    (h) Obligation of owner. The owner of any impounded livestock shall have the right at any time
    before sale thereof to redeem the same by paying to the division all impounding expenses, including fees,
    keeping charges, advertising, personnel time and other costs incurred therewith. The owner shall not circumvent
    these requirements by obtaining the animal through the auction process either directly or indirectly. The owner
    shall be responsible for paying the difference in cost (should there be any) between the amount that is received
    for the animal at the auction and that actual amount due to the county. In the event there is a dispute as to the
    amount of such costs and expenses, the owner may give bond with sufficient sureties to be approved by the
    division, in an amount to be determined by the division, but not exceeding the fair cash value of such livestock,
    conditioned to pay such costs and damages; thereafter, within ten (10) days, the owner shall institute suit in
    equity to have the damage adjudicated by a court of equity or referred to a jury if requested by either party to
    suit.
    (i) Equine infectious anemia/Coggins.
    (1) All horses moving within the county must have a report of a negative Coggins (EIA) test
    conducted within the previous twelve (12) months. A foal under six (6) months of age, is
    exempted from test requirements when accompanied by its dam which has a report of a negative
    Coggins test conducted within the past twelve (12) months.
    (2) All horses other than those sold for slaughter, must have a report of a negative Coggins test
    conducted within the previous twelve (12) months for change of ownership. The negative
    Coggins test report must be provided to the new owner or custodian at the time of change of
    location or ownership.
    (Ord. No. 98-22, § 21, 6-16-98)

With the definition of "Livestock" being: Livestock shall include all animals of the equine (horse, mule, etc.), bovine (cattle), porcine (swine),
    caprine (goats), ovine (sheep) and domesticated poultry.

Aren't doves and pigeons considered domesticated poultry?

6. DragonEggs

May 11, 2010
    Borger, TX
    Doesn't the Florida Right to Farm Act give me some ground to stand on?

7. DragonEggs

May 11, 2010
    Borger, TX
    What about a petition? Could I get one going that would allow me to keep them? I got plenty of people who would sign. All the neighbors (except the one...). How would I word it? What should it say?

8. Sugar Sand Farm

Sugar Sand Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2007
    North Florida
  9. DragonEggs

May 11, 2010
    Borger, TX
    Well, I decided I can't deal with my crazy neighbors so we're taking the chickens and moving.

10. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Haven't had time to look at all the links and code, but in your first post you mentioned that she intercepted your MAIL? That is a Federal offense, and may well be a felony!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by