Just told I have 14 days OR ELSE (Chicken Laws in South FLORIDA)

Quote:
I am so sorry about that crazy neighbor! There is one on every block, it seems. I have one diagonally from me. Just plain CRAZY! and bent on making nice people unhappy...I'm sorry for your situation and hope it improves :)

Quote:
Your neighbor is correct in sending the mis delivered mail back, the problem here lies with the mail carrier, and the only way the post office would know about it or be able to attempt correcting the error is if it goes back to them.

She shouldn't hold the the mis delivered mail however.

Your real complaint is with the postal folks, she can not legally put that mail into your mail box.

BACK TO THE TOPIC AT HAND HERE.......

Looks like I'm going to need a place to board them for a few weeks until we can move. Started looking for work and a new place in our old town as well as a new place here. I'm willing to pay for care and feed and help with cleaning and maintenance, just need a place to keep them cause I refuse to get rid of them. I have a little less than 2 weeks to do something.

i found this
Chapter 10 ANIMALS
Article I. In General
Sec. 10-9. Keeping certain animals prohibited; exceptions.

No person shall keep, possess, feed or maintain any live animal within the town other than domesticated household pets or domesticated animals. Domesticated household pets or domesticated animals may be kept, possessed and maintained as household pets within the town so long as they are kept, possessed and maintained in compliance with the provisions of this chapter provided these household pets do not constitute a nuisance to neighbors because of excessive noise or odors. Proper sanitary measures shall be observed and followed at all times in connection with the keeping, maintaining, feeding or possessing of such pets. This provision shall not preclude the feeding and maintaining of feral cat colonies permitted and authorized by the town as part of an authorized program specifically designated by the town council for the control and regulation of feral cats within the town.
(Ord. No. 9-96, § 1(4-3), 5-14-96; Ord. No. 9-03, § 1, 2-11-03; Ord. No. 7-08, § 1, 4-8-08)

"other than domesticated household pets or domesticated animals"

Chickens are domesticated animals

"so long as they are kept, possessed and maintained in compliance with the provisions of this chapter provided these household pets do not constitute a nuisance to neighbors because of excessive noise or odors"

Hens are quiet, and make sure you keep the coop clean.

Im not sure if it helps, but here you go,

We're thinking about getting a couple of big rabbit hutches and keeping them inside. Either in the garage or on our back screened room. That should make them count as household pets no matter what. Rabbits are livestock but if kept in the same manner would they deny my right to have them too? (probably)

Also, where did you find that? One of the key parts of this problem is we aren't located in any city, we're an unincorporated town and only go by county codes, not those of any of the surrounding cities. But thats still something that can work in my favor.

First thing you need to find out is if any regulations apply to you. Since you are in an unincorporated area I wouldn't think so.

Quote:
I live a bit more south of you, in Broward County. I've resorted to keeping my girls inside until about 2:00ish, or until they lay their eggs, then I let them go outside until just before dark. I like you, will NOT give up my girls!!! I've had run-ins with our ACO several times, because SOMEONE decided to call them on me!!!
somad.gif
smack.gif
Its more work for me, but they are most worth it! I have even had the Miami Herald do an interview on us! They found us from BYC! First we did the interview with WLRN in Miami! Turned out really well, by the way!! Its been over a year now since the ACO have been here, and thank goodness for that! Jason, one of the ACO's told me that if he had to come back again, he'd have no recourse but to issue me a citation!
ep.gif
So far, so good.
fl.gif
Funny story, he even interviewed for the WLRN interview we took too!
lol.png

I hope all works out for you.
hugs.gif
I know where you're coming from, some people just have nothing better to do than make other's lived miserable!!

Well, I FINALLY recieved my notice of violation in the mail today. It SAYYYSSSS....

Zoning Classification: RH

You are hereby notified that an inspection of the above premises disclosed that you have violated one or more codes of Palm Beach County, Florida as follows
1)Table 4.A.3.A-Use matrix & 4.A.3.A.7 Unified Land Development Code

And Particularly

1) Uses not identified in a district column as permitted by right, by a Special Permit, or as a Conditional Use are not allowed in the District, unless otherwise expressly permitted by this Code. Farm animals in a residential zoning district is prohibited. Chickens and roosters on property.

Requirements for Correction

1) Cease allowing a use which is not permitted by right, by a Special Permit, or as a Conditional Use in this zoning district. Remove chickens and roosters from property.

Compliance Deadline: July 22, 2010

That is WORD FOR WORD exactly what the letter says. I left out the last paragraph about the court date and fines. Now, to start taking it apart *cracks knuckles*

FIRST after much searching and digging on their website I finally found the code table they speak of. Here is a Link

http://www.pbcgov.com/pzb/uldc/articles/Article4.pdf

Page 11 is where the above quoted begins.

Farm animals in a residential zoning district is prohibited. Chickens and roosters on property.

Remove chickens and roosters from property.

These parts are not stated on the website. They were later added to the document I recieved.

Ref Pg. 17

Ths is where is begins to list the different kind of agriculture allowed in which zone. Well, which kind of agriculture am I? Not stated.

Also, I noted the first line of the letter states:

Zoning Classification: RH

After scouring the online document I have found no indication of a zone labeled "RH". Am I therefore led to believe "RH" does not exist and is not apart of the oridinances set thereforth?

To me this all seems kind of just thrown together. I am in no way an expert at reading documents as complicated as this (I sware they make it complicated on purpose to confuse us simpleminded folk) but it just doesn't state things clearly. In no way shape or form do I see anything at all that clearly states that I cannot keep chickens for one reason or another.

Opinions?​

Back
Top Bottom