Just two are debateable at this point.. What are they?

CSolis

Crossing the Road
May 17, 2020
Red Level, AL
Friday I picked up the last 5 chicks from a local breeder that are supposed to be EE's. I'm really not sure about that, because 2 of them, nearly identical (am only posting pics of one of the) have no cheek puffs, and the second one doesn't have any either and is dark grayish legged.
These three pics are of the first chick.

The
EE3.png
EE1.png EE2.png

Next pic is the second chick that I am not sure of. Notice the darker legs? No cheek puffs on him either

UNK.png

Do EE's have leg feathering too?
The term EE is very generic meaning ANY bird bred to a blue egger.. with NO other standard OR expectation of outcome. Any egg color goes, any shank color, any feather pattern.. etc. There is NO standard of perfection for EE. Their wonderful variety is what makes them fun birds. ;)

Cream Legbars lay blue eggs and have NO beard or muff. Dark grey-ish legs.. maybe a sign of slate colored shanks in a parent bird. Ameraucana and many others have slate colored shanks. It may still change some. Bottom of the feet show actual skin color.

Yes they may or may not have feathered shanks depending on what was used to in the cross! EE are considered crosses that will NOT breed true or produce offspring that look exactly the same. I repeat there is NO SOP and anything goes... even brown eggs unfortunately. :hmm

Hope they make a great flock for you! :fl

Thanks to both of you for the replies. I was told before that EE's don't have leg feathering, but the two that are like the one in the first image do!

One of the little puffballs has yellow down, and white and gray barring in the wings. They are much shorter (the wings) than the one in the first image, but then it's much smaller in size over all, and has the cheek puffs. The last one (out of 5) I picked up resembles my Bielefelders, except for lighter down in head and neck than the first two I got. Wing feather match perfectly with my Bielefelders as well.. They were all in the same incubation hatch.

Back
Top Bottom