Just unpacked my brinsea 20 -help!!

prinellie

Songster
9 Years
Sep 24, 2014
So I just unpacked my bator. I thought there would be instructions -but not so much. Where can I get detailed info on this subject? It doesn't even tell where to place the wire separator things or how to place the egg in the bator...? Let alone ALL the other things I guess I need to know about incubating eggs. I thought this would be easy... :(

You can go to brinsea.com. on their site is a place to download instructions in a pdf format.

The wires that go into the slots just place them according to your egg size. They are very adjustable that's a definite plus.

Put the eggs in the bator small end down.

Did you get an eco. Or advance?

I got the advance. I got instructions inside but I didn't realize you had to weigh the eggs and it says high humidity but not too high but reading other posts on here they talk about 'lockdown' and 'helping a pip' - gosh. I'm overwhelmed. It was so easy letting the broody do this but I need to start really soon and I don't have a broody right at the moment. Besides- I need to learn how to do this... thank you!! :thumbsup

Mine I incubate dry. Don't add any water til lockdown. Then fill both water troughs up. Use warm but not hot water. Try to keep it 70 plus for hatching.

I've never weighed my eggs. Just placed in incubator close to same size together. If they don't make it to the end for a sung fit I cut a cardboard roll to size I put in so they don't flop around.

I have had to help a few eggs in in the brinsea. The main reason I think is because they are in a close relation to the fan.

But for the most part this is a set and forget incubator. I've had excellent hatches from mine.

One thing I suggest you look at getting just for piece of mind is a brinsea spot check thermometer. Just to check the incubator setting.

Congrats on your new incubator! I think you'll be happy with it - I have the same model and it's been very dependable. To add to what @feedman77 already advised, getting the humidity high enough at lockdown can sometimes be a challenge, depending on conditions; if you find that you can't get it to between 65-70% humidity at lockdown, cutting a couple of Ocelo sponges (these are the colored ones you can get at most stores: http://www.ocelo.com/wps/portal/3M/...ponges?N=7581765+3294310668+3294529207&rt=rud ) to the size of the water channels and putting them in first so they get soaked when you add the water can really help. Just toss the used ones after the hatch is complete.

One other "lesson learned" I'd like to share is that even though the specs will tell you that it can hold 24 eggs, don't do it - it will be way too crowded at hatch if most of them hatch. I set 24 in my first chicken egg hatch and 22 hatched...it was chaos.

Best wishes for your incubating adventures!

Thanks so much for the added advice. I really am looking forward to doing the incubator hatch. It was sweet to have my broody hatch but this way I can do them when I need them. Thank you again!

I just got mine unboxed today, got the 20 Advanced with Humidity Pump. It was interesting to figure out. Brinsea also has youtube video's step by step showing you unboxing, settings, everything you would need to know. Im putting my eggs in it tonight.

So I plugged my brinsea in last night and left it til this morning to see if everything was good - the humidity didn't raise over 38%. Any thoughts? I ordered the humidity pump last night but there are no videos on that so I hope it comes with good instructions because I can't see where it connects to my brinsea 20 advance. Ugh!
1f615.png

Back
Top Bottom