just walked outside and...

I have some guineas...not too attatched to them... thought about shooting them this weekend, lol. I paid about $500 to have my husbands mustang all buffed and detailed because they climbed all over it and scratched it up one day. They just did it again...

Last year. just one day, we had a hawk that kept diving and running straight into our enclosure/run wire... Over and over again. Then when he couldn't get into the top he started aiming for the side under the coop which is luckily wired too. I have never seen anything like it. I thought for sure he would end up breaking his neck. I ran outside, scared, and he just landed on the side of the enclosure looking at me.. so I ran to my parents house to see if they could help me scare him off and when I came back he was gone.. haven't seen him since. There are some pine trees across the road that a ton of hawks fly around in the summer. But that is the only one I have ever seen around the chickens... I was so glad we had them in an enclosure... but I have mixed feelings... If I didn't live right beside a road I would love to let them free range but after that I am not sure I could
sad.png

Wow! thats crazy... I thought my hawk was bold...it tried to snag a rooster off my front porch once, they actually hit my front door fighting. He didnt get a chicken meal that day, but has gotten plenty (I should say "she") Its a mama hawk and her baby from last year, well dont know if the baby is still around or not actually. I live about 1000 ft off the road though, cant see the road from my house, so I dont have to worry about cars. The chickens have an enclosed run and coop, they are locked securely at night. This is just so frustrating.

This has happened to me four times...So I now have a big plastic owl on one of my post beside the coop and I also got a very large splash orpington rooster. It's been 3 months now and I havent lost a hen yet.
big_smile.png

So the plastic owls work? Hawks are afraid of owls? I wondered if one of those would work...of course they also have plastic hawks...that may attract them, lol.

Hawks will go for baby chicks, because they light in weight, easy to catch and easy to get away with.
Make some screen enclosure - like a triangle - and cover the babies.
Keep them covered/enclosed during a day on your pasture until they grow almost to the size of an adult chicken.

I read somewhere that one lady tangled a clear fishing (plastic) wire from tree to tree, from stick to stick, crossed over several times....and that stopped the hawk!

geese and turkeys help alot to keep hawks away. The geese squawk real loud and run after them and the turkeys call alarm for chickens to hide. We don't lose hardly any chickens since we got them.

Back
Top Bottom