1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Just want to ask about artichokes

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by Delta2 23, Jul 11, 2011.

1. Delta2 23

Delta2 23 Flock Master

Sep 4, 2008
    How does one actually cook them? [​IMG]
    We look at them in the supermarket and think, wow. They sure look different.

2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Most folks boil 'em. I steam mine. I actually steam mine in the microwave. Here's how:

Cut the stem even with the "crown" (the part you would think is the "base") and then use a sharp, serrated knife to saw off the other end of the 'choke, about down to the second row of leaves closest to the base / crown. You are cutting off the thorny pointed ends. This makes it flat and shows all the ends of the leaves inside.

Place four nice large 'chokes, cut in the above manner, stem side down, in a glass dish for which you have a cover. Sprinkle garlic powder on the flat, cut leaf side and then squeeze some lemon juice over them. Add about half a cup of water into the dish and cover it.

Microwave on high for 16 minutes, then let the dish sit for another 10 minutes, still covered.

Melt some butter in small dish - you will pull the individual leaves off and dip the end which had been connected to the 'choke into the butter. Then you put that buttered end into your mouth, holding the other (cut) end and close your teeth over it. Pull the leaf out with your teeth closed, so you scrape the fleshy, buttered part off. You put the leaf into your mouth with the "inside" of the leaf against your bottom teeth.

Some folks use mayonnaise instead of melted butter.

When you get down to the part of the inner 'choke where the leaves are very thin, you can bite through them and eat the whole softer end, opposite the bit with the thorn on it. Pull the last few leaves off as one unit, and just dip the collection of leaves into your butter or mayonnaise. The softer part where all the leaves were connected is the crown, and that too can be eaten; I cut the crown in quarters and dip the "meaty" part into the melted butter.

I LOVE artichokes!

3. 2DogsFarm

2DogsFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    NW Indiana
    I do the same as gryeyes except I cut off the thorny tip of each leaf with scissors and nuke them upside down in about 1/2 inch water w/a squeeze of lemon juice.
    I use any dish that will fit all the 'chokes & cover with plastic wrap

Cook on High for about 10min then let sit until cool enough to handle.

You can scrape out the choke part with a spoon before cooking, but like gryeyes describes it's easier to do after it's cooked.

I like mine dipped into salad dressing - any flavor you like (creamy garlic or bleu cheeses are really good).

You can grill them too.
    Cut in half lengthwise - quarters if really large artichokes - cut out the choke, brush with olive oil, sprinkle with salt and grill until the heart (bottom) is tender - about 15-20min on my gas grill

4. bullyforme

bullyforme Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2011
    Trololo farm
    I don't cut the leaves because I find steaming the artichoke makes the thorn tender and fall off (or is very easy to pick off). I steam mine in a steam basket over water to which I've added some minced garlic, lemon balm, and pineapple sage (herbs I have growing in my garden, but can work with whatever you have), and lemon peel.

For a dip I mix some lemon juice with a little mayo.

Sooooooooooo good!

5. Delta2 23

Delta2 23 Flock Master

Sep 4, 2008
    Thanks everyone!
    I might be more willing to buy one next time, just to give it a shot [​IMG]

It sounds like their texture would be very different to anything I've eaten before. Do you have anything to compare them to?

6. #1California Chick

#1California Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    The above are all good suggestions on how to boil or steam artichokes.

As a "dip", my familly likes mayo mixed with a little curry powder. YUMMMY!

Cindy

7. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Artichokes are a labor intensive food. Plus, the taste is mild - unless you get too close to the needle tip on the outer leaves, then those are bitter. Mostly, folks use them as a side dish, rather than an entre. Not me, I will cook four and eat all four myself. There's really very little "meat" compared to the amount of pithy leaves left after the bits of good stuff are eaten.

But if you buy "baby artichokes" and steam those, you can eat nearly the whole 'choke!

8. bigmike&nan

bigmike&nan Chillin' With My Peeps

One of my memories of childhood was scarfing down big platters of artichokes with melted butter (the only time my mom would spend money on butter).

As an adult I learned to take them up a notch... Using a sharp knife I cut off about 3/4 of an inch of the top, the trim all the other leaves with kitchen shears. Remove the lower leaves (that are purple or discolored or split), then laying the choke on it's side split it down the middle top to bottom, clear out the choke with a large spoon and steam in a pot of water with 8 peppercorns and some oregano sprinkled on the inside of the choke. Remove and drain on paper towels. Serve in a wide bowl with some medium shrimp all decked out in lemon juice, fresh parsley and a sprinkle of red pepper flake. Make your own mayo from scratch to really make dipping the leaves tasty

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=167469

also another tried italian standby is to trim up the chokes as above but remove quite a few of the tough outer leaves. Make a dressing of white wine, lemon juice and EVO and a stuffing of old bread crumbs, garlic, EVO and some finely diced tomato. STUFF each half and lay in a greased casserole dish face down. Sprinkle with white wine and a little chicken stock, cover with foil and bake at 350 for about 45 mintues - or until your guest screech to see what maks the house smell so good. Eat THAT for dinner or with a fresh rustic salad...

9. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    I steam them on the stove with some lemon, garlic and bay leaves in the water.

Serve with lemon or garlic butter or mayonnaise.

Funny, my husband doesn't want to bother with taking the fuzzy off the heart, so I graciously offer to relieve him of it. [​IMG]

10. CarlB

CarlB New Egg

Jun 30, 2011
    I love Steamed/boiled artichokes with melted butter.

I dip the pedals and scrape off the meat with my teeth.
    The choke on some I eat, on some the choke is too stiff and pokey, so I scoop it out with a spoon and then just eat the base and stem.

Carl

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by