Just Want To Make Sure (Bakersfield, CA)

you are 100% correct fudge, animal control does not handle this issue, it is a code enforcement issue. MsPickle, the code just recently changed. I am not sure exactly when the change happened but it is fairly recent. Until they altered the code we were allowed to keep chickens in R-1 zones in Bakersfield. It is total horse manure that we can't now.

Actually we were also told when code enforcement was at that the council was talking about making it illegal for the pot bellied pigs and pygmy goats. That's why its so important for everyone to contact our supervisors and david couch in particular to put our input in as to how wrong it is to take student projects away! We need to stand up to the city of Bakersfield! Let them know what we want not what a few snubby people want!

Sorry meant when code enforcement was out at our home over our 6 bantam hens we were informed that the city planning council members were talking about outlawing pygmy goats and potbellied pigs. If we had complaints to contact Mr. Davd Couch and let him know we don't agree about the chicken law that there should be exceptions

I am in a R1 zone and my four chickens are pets with names. I raised them from little chicks. I don't want to get rid of them, what do I do? They are fat and spoiled...

1. Do not tell anyone you have them. 2. Hope no one discovers them and turns you in to code enforcement, because you will have no recourse. I agree 100%, it sucks. Ken Weir (city councilman) is my accountant, I plan on asking him about it the next time we talk.

I'm glad the law is in place. I moved from the County to the City to avoid the smell of farm animals. Chickens and Roosters are very noisy and have no place in an incorporated city. Those who want livestock should move to an R2 zone and you can have horses or whatever you want.

My name is Amber. I have three beautiful girls that free range in my garden within the city limits of bakersfield. A neighbor, being spiteful, turned me into code enforcement. To make a long story short, I have till the end of the month to get rid of my chickens. This is heart breaking and unacceptable since they are a part of our family. We have had them for just about a year now. My girls will be relocating, temporarily I hope, to my mother in law's farm in Banning, CA. I want to bring my girls home, but I want to do it the right way. I am looking into having the city ordinance changed in the city of bakersfield so that chickens will be allowed. I would appreciate any assistance and support I can get with this. Please email me at [email protected]
Thank you

Hi Amber,
Just read your post and wondered if you were able to get your dear hens settled somewhere? I used to live in bakersfield, both in the county (you can have chickens there - we did), and in the city. Now we live in Glennville, a 40 minute commute one way, but better because everyone has animals here. Maybe you should consider moving to another area nearby that allows livestock.
Debbie

Back
Top Bottom