Just Want To Make Sure (Bakersfield, CA)

Stewie21

Hatching
8 Years
Apr 21, 2011
I really love animals so I was wanting to get 2-3 hens to keeps as pets but I just want to make sure it's legal to keep them in the residential area of Bakersfield, CA. I did look at the Municode website (I saw it in the F.A.Q. section) but I couldn't find any clear answers.

I did find this when I was searching online:

Bakersfield, CA. Municipal code 6.08.010: Any chickens must be "kept securely enclosed in a yard or pen at all times."

which leads me to believe that it is legal to keep them as long as they are enclosed if a fenced area.

Can any of you verify that it is legal to keep them in the city of Bakersfield?

Thanks
big_smile.png

Hi Amber,
Just read your post and wondered if you were able to get your dear hens settled somewhere? I used to live in bakersfield, both in the county (you can have chickens there - we did), and in the city. Now we live in Glennville, a 40 minute commute one way, but better because everyone has animals here. Maybe you should consider moving to another area nearby that allows livestock.
Debbie

Anybody willing to get the ball rolling? I am willing to support the cause but am too busy to take charge.

They are concerned about salmonella. Personally I would be okay with vaccinating them.

Anybody willing to get the ball rolling? I am willing to support the cause but am too busy to take charge.

They are concerned about salmonella. Personally I would be okay with vaccinating them.
Already got the ball rolling just need support and people to call their council members in all Wards of the city and to come to the council meeting and express support when they call for public opinion.

According to the city council website & NovusAGENDA, all meetings are limited access to the public due to Covid-19, you can still email your concerns or call and leave a message of no longer than 3 minutes stating your name, if the statement is on the agenda or not, and what you want to state. IMHO it just sounds like an easy way to ignore the public and keep complaint resources down, so you can't speak your mind.
They are doing a workshop on it right now. When they open up the meetings to the public they will have an open session for people to come in and show support. Dont email or call the 326 number, that just goes to the city clerk, most council members have their cell phones listed on the website.

Seems to be the law.Keep them securly in your yard,or coop run at all times.

I remember living in Bakersfield. Kuzz country music home of Buck Owens.Bakersfield- the armpit of california.No i didnt like living there.
tongue.gif

Back
Top Bottom