Just Want To Make Sure (Bakersfield, CA)

This is the residential zoning code. Looked up today.

yeah but in the town to be considered RS zoned you have to have a acre minimum lot. ten thousand sq feet back yards are considered too small for poultry.The town requires 43,560 sq feet to have chickens..personally that is ridiculous. I can even understand nothing smaller then 10,000 sq feet but they require nothing smaller than forty three thousand five hundred and sixty square feet minimum in order to have chickens...simply ridiculous

Last edited:
I live close but still technically Bakersfield and although I live on A1 land I support keeping chickens everywhere, especially this town… I mean the homeless situation is a million times worse than having chickens in the city. For all they know it might even alleviate future homelessness. That being said, I also understand the people in this town, and the possible need for this law. Like most laws, it wasn't thought out and was made cut and dry simply for ease of implementation and enforcement. There is a good chance that with enough positive support this law can be adjusted to benefit both the city and its citizens. The best place to start in my opinion, is to find out what caused this law to happen and how can we alleviate the issue but still allow some form of poultry raising to be allowed. All of course within reason, because this is Bakersfield you WILL get that one person who lives in a rental with 100 chickens running around the back yard and half are roos.

Anybody willing to get the ball rolling? I am willing to support the cause but am too busy to take charge.

They are concerned about salmonella. Personally I would be okay with vaccinating them.

Back
Top Bottom