Just when you think you have them figured out! Coturnix riddle!!

Wolf-Kim

Songster
11 Years
12 Years
Jan 25, 2008
Okay, so here's some fun stuff for you and me to puzzle on.

I have AM Coturnix quail. I had a fox attack, and lost all but one quail. Luckily, I had 30 eggs in the incubator. The one survivor, laid an egg every day. So obviously, the one survivor is a female. Or so we would think... -_-

Later I added three more quail from that hatch. I sexed them by looking for the foam, tagged the only one that foamed. So I thought I had a male and two females.

Well, today I went out there and the one male was standing in the corner plucked and hiding. So I grab him and take him out, thinking that one of his hatch mates was a male. I start checking for foam... the banded male, the surviving female, and another "female" all foam and foam prefusely.

WTH!?!? I get at least 2 eggs a day out of this pen. So shouldn't there be at least 2 females!?!

Do I have a hermaphrodite or two? Could the surviving female have changed into a male? These guys have thrown me for a loop! Someone have an explanation!?!

Do female quail foam?? Because I always thought it was only males that did.

Just when you think you have your birds figured out, they blind side you!

-Kim

pop.gif

Figures...
roll.png

LOL

I'm going to have to put them up in individual cages and see just how many hermaphrodite quail, egg laying, foam producing quail I have. LOL I have a new strain of quail.. XD

-Kim

I know the answer to this......

when a roo mates the hens (and other roos) he inserts foam into their vents.

The hens spew foam on me all the time..it's disgusting
lau.gif

ETA: Riddle Broken
lau.gif

Last edited:
EEEEWWWWWWWWWWWWW Icky

I dont like animals that spew anything on me. Thats why though I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE sevral breeds of dog I have never owned them .. Like mastifs and st bernards and newfees

its bad enought that the cortunix use to dribble water puke on me if i startled them when I picked them up ,,, NEver startle a quail with a full stomic.

I was thinking that was the case.. but that doesn't explain why 3 females have ganged up on the "only" male to the point I had to remove him from the cage. I'll recheck them today and see what I can find.

tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom