Just wondering how often everyone cleans

Not that often. I use deep litter and sprinkle DE or PDZ on it every couple of weeks. Occasionally scoop off big piles if any. I tried poop boards and just didn't like that method.

I use a version of the deep litter method in my coop. In fall and winter I turn over the bedding every day and remove excess droppings every few days. In warm weather I remove droppings every day to help keep the flies down (not that it does much good lol).

The run is grass and dirt and is quite large, so I just do the occasional spot clean there.

run2.jpg

coop.jpg

run1.jpg

Most poo is at night while perched so every morning I take 15 min with my 5 gal bucket & kitty litter scooper & scoop out poo. If I see a chunky poo in the run I will scoop that too.
This 15 min each morning keeps the coop & run surprisingly clean overall.
Depending upon weather...many rainy days means more poo inside, I can clean coop & put fresh wood chips in when needed, could be 6 mos, could be 2 mos, just depends. My goal is to keep the humidity factor down, less humidity & less wet poo woodchips for overall comfort, health & absolutely no stink. The old poo chips go to a compost area where I till, so the soil is awesome for future gardening.

Attachments

• 20200927_175855.jpg
    20200927_175855.jpg
    531.7 KB · Views: 0

Back
Top Bottom