Just wondering how often everyone cleans

I scoop the poop out of the PDZ each morning, clean the bedding out of the coop annually and never clean anything out of the run.
2CAA8E144B7C_1621003889354.png
2CAA8E144D14_1576340907409.png

I scoop poop off the poop boards every day. I scoop any poop I see out of the pine shavings bedding in there. I check the nest boxes; fluff up/add to the bedding there if needed. It takes about 5 minutes a day.

I have yet to take all the bedding out of the coop. I've added three bales of shavings/hemp in a year's time. It does not smell unless someone has just dropped a cecal poop. Even last week when it was HOT and HUMID, it did not smell.

I throw garden weeds into the run 2-3 times a week. In the fall, I add lots of dry leaves. I scoop any poop I see out there, just because I want it for the compost bin.

Deep Bedding + Deep Litter. Straw in the nesting boxes.

Seems I replace the straw every month, the chickens keep kicking it into the house, onto the deep bedding. It gets raked onto the (deep litter) floor about once a season or so and replaced (which I need to do this week - must rake more leaf litter).

The deep litter slow composts. I've removed shovel's full to make it easier to open and close the door, or to add to the garden soil between plantings, but otherwise have not "cleaned". Its about 14 months on the current build up.

Last edited:
Most poo is at night while perched so every morning I take 15 min with my 5 gal bucket & kitty litter scooper & scoop out poo. If I see a chunky poo in the run I will scoop that too.
This 15 min each morning keeps the coop & run surprisingly clean overall.
Depending upon weather...many rainy days means more poo inside, I can clean coop & put fresh wood chips in when needed, could be 6 mos, could be 2 mos, just depends. My goal is to keep the humidity factor down, less humidity & less wet poo woodchips for overall comfort, health & absolutely no stink. The old poo chips go to a compost area where I till, so the soil is awesome for future gardening.

Attachments

• 20200927_175855.jpg
    20200927_175855.jpg
    531.7 KB · Views: 0

Back
Top Bottom