Juvenile Cochins and Polish Playing & Exploring (Pic Heavy)

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by sheilawagner, Aug 30, 2010.

1. sheilawagner

sheilawagner Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2010
    Pacific NorthWest
    My Cochin bantams are 7 weeks old, and the Polish are 5. I have 7 Cochin bantams and 9 Polish. They are very friendly, tame, cuddly and they are assimilating nicely with the adult flock outside. They have taken about 2 weeks to be really accepted by the flock queen, and the rest of the adult hens. They have also started free ranging all day, and are learning very nicely when to hide, when to run back into the enclosure through the pop door, and when to go 'home' into the coop to sleep and perch. I am very proud of them. So I'm here to show them off.. [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Ebony, black Cochin bantam, 7 weeks old, sitting very comfortably on Rummy's back. She is my favorite of all the cochins simply because of her temperament. She is very calm, loving, cuddly, and she is hardly in any fights.

[​IMG]
    My 16 juveniles, jumping into a crowd trying to snatch up raisins, nuts and all kinds of goodies.

[​IMG]
    My favorite male, Smokey, a blue cochin bantam. He is hardly in any chest bumps or fights, in fact, he's the one breaking them up. He loves to cuddle in my lap, even if I have no treats.

[​IMG]
    Chickies learning to climb the ramp into their home, learning how to go 'home' to roost.

[​IMG]
    Black cochin bantam, and a silver laced polish

[​IMG]
    The chicks on their very first dust bath ever, learning how wonderful it feels on their feathers.

[​IMG]
    We used an old tire for a dust bath in the enclosure, and filled it with earth. They just love it and would line up, taking turns at it. It is hilarious to watch.

[​IMG]
    My beautiful Smokey.

[​IMG]
    "Hmm.. what do we have here in this crack? Worms or bugs perhaps?"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Ebony and Ivory, get together in perfect harmony....

[​IMG]
    Ivory and a silver laced polish, looking for bugs under and on an old log.

[​IMG]
    Ebony and a red Frizzle, with Kimi in the background.

[​IMG]
    Gold and silver laced polish, joining in a snack of cantaloupe fruit and seeds.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Me, my chicks, and Rummy (Airedale terrier).

[​IMG]
    Rummy sharing a kiss with a black crested polish

[​IMG]
    DH, with Ebony and Ivory on his lap.

[​IMG]
    Kimi, my 5 yo older Airedale, giving Ebony a good moment and sniff.

[​IMG]
    These are some moments I shall cherish forever, the DH and the chicks, loving together.

[​IMG]
    Smokey on his lap

2. SilverPhoenix

SilverPhoenix Bantam Fanatic

Dec 15, 2009
    Penn Valley, CA
    Such cute, happy-looking teenage chicks! Looks like they're having a grand time exploring their surroundings. I always love your photos--they're so lovely! Thank you so much for sharing them! [​IMG]

3. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Isn't it nice how chicks make everyone happy?

4. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    What a beautiful dog too!

5. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Thank you for sharing your photos! What precious moments! I was amazed at how SMALL your polish chicks were standing next to you- wow the pics before it made them look larger than that, lol.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 30, 2010
  6. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Beautiful Chickies! [​IMG]
    Where did you get those cochins? I'm looking for some Barred and Buffs ... [​IMG]

7. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

Thanks for sharing those positively BEAUTIFUL photos! Pretty birds, and they look so happy and healthy! Enjoy your babies. [​IMG]

8. ZooMummzy

ZooMummzy Queen of the Zoo

Mar 31, 2008
    Philomath, Oregon
    Thank you for sharing these wonderful photos! Everyone looks so happy [​IMG] Great idea for the dust bath enclosure...I like it!

9. sheilawagner

sheilawagner Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2010
    Pacific NorthWest
    Hello Mrs Fluffy Puffy,

My Cochin bantams are from Ideal, and the Polish are from Ideal too. My Silkies which are now a week old (indoor brooder) are from both MyPetChicken and Ideal.

After getting a few of these breeds, I'm coming to realize that Cochins are my fav, simply because they are comical when they move, quiet, docile, super cuddly, friendly and easy to tame. The polish are more independent and are quite cuddly too, but they are more aloof than the Cochins. I've enjoyed the Cochins so much, I'm actually toying with the idea of getting a larger fowl Cochin standard next spring. We'll see how it goes over winter and how everyone does. Plus, we'll have to see what the DH says too. He says 40 chickens is enough... oh.. he says, we'll have to cull a few before we can add a few. Well, I'm sure we'll be eating some of the male Polish when they get too feisty. We don't need so many roos.. Poor roos. I shall keep only my favorites.. [​IMG]

10. Trophamus

Trophamus Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2010
    Nottingham, UK
    they are all utterly adorable [​IMG] and i think its great your dogs are so sweet with them!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by