Kane is hurt! Vet appt. made

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by gritsar, May 27, 2010.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    We got lazy and let the boys have their final bathroom break last night, unleashed and unsupervised, together in the yard (it's fenced). Jax immediately went over the fence and of course if big brother can do it, Kane thinks he can too.
    They came back as soon as DH called them, but Kane came back limping badly.
    We don't know if he sprained the leg going over the fence, running around outside, or if maybe he got kicked by a cow.
    We were hoping that a nights rest in his crate would help, but it hasn't. He is very reluctant to put any weight on the leg, but being a stoic german shepherd he's not yelping or anything.
    I'll be calling the vet today. I don't know if she'll want to see him first or if lacking x-ray equipment she'll have us take him directly to the vet in the city.
    Anyhow, prayers and good wishes for my little boy Kane please.

Last edited: May 31, 2010
  2. la dee da

la dee da Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2008
    Virginia
    [​IMG] Poor Kane [​IMG]

3. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    ouch! Sure does sound like a trip is in your future to the city vet. If he is reluctant to put any weight on it after resting all night. Good luck.

4. Miss Red

Miss Red Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    Trinity, Texas
    I feel for you. My heeler came in this morning a tripod as well. I believe one of my horses kicked her... Ah the lack of pain makes it hard to tell if they're broken. Heart goes to you and your Kane.

5. Equus5O

Equus5O Chillin' With My Peeps

Oh no! I hope he's okay. How's the limping husband, by the way?

6. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:The limping husband is the reason I haven't called the vet yet. He got his "boot" off about a week ago, but the orthopedist wouldn't release him to go back to work until he has had some time to get the muscles in his lower leg working right again. The WC nurse is also still uptight about him going back to work while taking coumadin (blood thinner). So he's off at least until the end of June.
    He's been doing better, but is now having trouble with his breathing again. Of course our regular doctor is out of town this week.
    He had a bad night and I don't want to wake him to discuss what to do about Kane.
    Kane is resting quietly and I'm discouraging him from playing.

7. MomtoSyd&Emma

MomtoSyd&Emma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2009
    Southern VA
    crate him all day today. it can take a couple days for a sprain to heal, call the vet and ask her opinion of giving him some aspirin to help with pain. good luck for your dh and Kane!

8. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

I hope everything turns out okay. [​IMG] Hope is just a sprain. [​IMG]

9. SillyChicken

SillyChicken Overrun With Chickens

Jan 12, 2010
    Hope he gets better on his own, and it's nothing serious!

10. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    I just saw this, how is he??

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by