RooRoosMama

Chirping
Jan 10, 2023
Hi there,
I have added many pictures, hopefully they load in order. The dry ones are before I treated with Aquaphor, the middle were last night (after one treatment), the ones starting at the bare bottom through the end were this morning.

I have had my boy at the vet many times for issues with his feathers. The first visit was for a leg issue but I mentioned him biting, breaking, and pulling out his feathers. The vet said he was bored and to get him some toys and get him outside as much as possible.

Next visit, still for leg issues, mentioned about his feathers again, after getting him a bunch of toys, getting him on a routine, this time I asked about feather mites, shaft mites? He said no. To possibly.

Next vet visit, this one was about feather pulling and inflammation in his knees. After this visit I got him a rooster about 7 months old, it was going great for a while, then the little one got bigger then my Roo and my Roo is a big 'Ol Mama's Boy and he was getting beat up by his friend :(

Now, he has these sores and blisters all around his feather follicles and shafts. It's very painful for him and I have a call, pictures and email into the vet already. I was just curious if any of you have dealt with something like this.

Thank you ❤️

Attachments

• received_3035150963281846.jpeg
    received_3035150963281846.jpeg
    309 KB · Views: 103
  • Screenshot_20231010_093805_Messenger.jpg
    Screenshot_20231010_093805_Messenger.jpg
    183.9 KB · Views: 26
  • Screenshot_20231010_093823_Messenger.jpg
    Screenshot_20231010_093823_Messenger.jpg
    238.2 KB · Views: 27
  • Screenshot_20231010_093846_Messenger.jpg
    Screenshot_20231010_093846_Messenger.jpg
    242.3 KB · Views: 30
  • 20231010_095255.jpg
    20231010_095255.jpg
    370.1 KB · Views: 28
  • 20231010_095310.jpg
    20231010_095310.jpg
    375 KB · Views: 30
  • 20231010_095313.jpg
    20231010_095313.jpg
    332 KB · Views: 22
  • 20231010_134234.jpg
    20231010_134234.jpg
    299.2 KB · Views: 19
  • 20231010_134319.jpg
    20231010_134319.jpg
    219.3 KB · Views: 20
  • 20231010_134325.jpg
    20231010_134325.jpg
    266.9 KB · Views: 21
  • 20231010_134329.jpg
    20231010_134329.jpg
    312 KB · Views: 27
Hi there,
I have added many pictures, hopefully they load in order. The dry ones are before I treated with Aquaphor, the middle were last night (after one treatment), the ones starting at the bare bottom through the end were this morning.

I have had my boy at the vet many times for issues with his feathers. The first visit was for a leg issue but I mentioned him biting, breaking, and pulling out his feathers. The vet said he was bored and to get him some toys and get him outside as much as possible.

Next visit, still for leg issues, mentioned about his feathers again, after getting him a bunch of toys, getting him on a routine, this time I asked about feather mites, shaft mites? He said no. To possibly.

Next vet visit, this one was about feather pulling and inflammation in his knees. After this visit I got him a rooster about 7 months old, it was going great for a while, then the little one got bigger then my Roo and my Roo is a big 'Ol Mama's Boy and he was getting beat up by his friend :(

Now, he has these sores and blisters all around his feather follicles and shafts. It's very painful for him and I have a call, pictures and email into the vet already. I was just curious if any of you have dealt with something like this.

Thank you ❤️
There are usually two reasons why chickens lose feathers like that, and it's usually mites or feather picking by others or themselves. If it's themselves, it's usually because of mites or lack of protein, but that's not the only reasons, just more common.

Let's see if I can get someone who knows a lot more than me about this.

@NatJ
@Wyorp Rock

Where is that located on his body - near the tail and preening gland?

Is the preening gland functioning?
Does he preen and dust bath?

Has he molted yet?
He's got some broken feathers. Around the feather shafts, there's a keratin sheath on some of the new feathers that has emerged.

Have you ever treated him with Ivermectin for Depluming Mites?

Where is that located on his body - near the tail and preening gland?

Is the preening gland functioning?
Does he preen and dust bath?

Has he molted yet?
He's got some broken feathers. Around the feather shafts, there's a keratin sheath on some of the new feathers that has emerged.

Have you ever treated him with Ivermectin for Depluming Mites?
That is near the preening gland and tail.

He is preening as far as I know and he did have a good dust bath a few days ago. He is my ESA so he spends alot of time inside with me.

I thought he has molted, but then he is my first experience with chickens (and my other rooster and 2 hens).

We can't get Ivermectin OTC in Canada. That's why I asked the vet so many times. So no I haven't yet.

Can you buy cattle pour on ivermectin or horse paste without a prescription, or not at all?
I'm not sure about horse paste, I've never heard of it. But none of the Ivermectin at all without a prescription. I am waiting on a call back from the vet. He can usually get him in the same day or the next, or he will send a prescription to out drugstore. But I haven't heard back yet and my boy is so sore :( im going to call again now.

Called the vet and thier whole system is down. So they can't access the email with the pics, or see the notes from yesterday. They are going to call back when It’s up again. Ugh... I'm just glad they are so quick with everything usually.

I'm not sure about horse paste, I've never heard of it. But none of the Ivermectin at all without a prescription. I am waiting on a call back from the vet. He can usually get him in the same day or the next, or he will send a prescription to out drugstore. But I haven't heard back yet and my boy is so sore :( im going to call again now.
They sell horse paste Ivermectin at feed stores. I think they might be locked up in a glass case now after COVID, so you might have to ask for assistance.

They sell horse paste Ivermectin at feed stores. I think they might be locked up in a glass case now after COVID, so you might have to ask for assistance.
You are giving information that is correct where you live, which I see from your profile is in the USA.

But the OP is in Canada, which apparently has different rules about buying Ivermectin:
We can't get Ivermectin OTC in Canada.
none of the Ivermectin at all without a prescription.

Back
Top Bottom