That is near the preening gland and tail.

He is preening as far as I know and he did have a good dust bath a few days ago. He is my ESA so he spends alot of time inside with me.

I thought he has molted, but then he is my first experience with chickens (and my other rooster and 2 hens).

We can't get Ivermectin OTC in Canada. That's why I asked the vet so many times. So no I haven't yet.
Hi fellow Canadian 😊

You can easily get Ivermectin here. Bought the liquid stuff for horses, you can get a ‘single dose’ syringe (single dose for a horse at 15ml).

This:
https://greenhawk.com/collections/dewormers/products/avl-ivermectin-liquid-dewormer-15-ml

I actually emptied the 15ml into a small jar and use a small 1ml syringe to measure out the dose.

FYI this product is 10mg/ml

You can also get 5mg/ml in ivermectin with other brands.

Here is a good article on ivermectin use in poultry along with dosing - remember there are 10mg/ml and 5mg/ml strengths so whatever you use make sure you check this.

https://bitchinchickens.com/2019/04/29/ivermectin-for-parasite-control/

It’s very hard to get stuff here in Canada for sure, but not impossible.

You are giving information that is correct where you live, which I see from your profile is in the USA.

But the OP is in Canada, which apparently has different rules about buying Ivermectin:
Horse wormer etc can be bought at a feed store and is out in the open.

It’s hard to get some stuff but not impossible here in Canada. Also not sure were the OP is from but here in Ontario Vets can only see poultry if they have a large animal livestock licence to treat. Thankfully I have horses and an awesome horse Vet I have used for over 35 Years 💕🥰

Hi fellow Canadian 😊

You can easily get Ivermectin here. Bought the liquid stuff for horses, you can get a ‘single dose’ syringe (single dose for a horse at 15ml).

This:
https://greenhawk.com/collections/dewormers/products/avl-ivermectin-liquid-dewormer-15-ml

I actually emptied the 15ml into a small jar and use a small 1ml syringe to measure out the dose.

FYI this product is 10mg/ml

You can also get 5mg/ml in ivermectin with other brands.

Here is a good article on ivermectin use in poultry along with dosing - remember there are 10mg/ml and 5mg/ml strengths so whatever you use make sure you check this.

https://bitchinchickens.com/2019/04/29/ivermectin-for-parasite-control/

It’s very hard to get stuff here in Canada for sure, but not impossible.
I wish we could get ivermectin in a syringe. I have to buy the whole bottle. I am in us

Horse wormer etc can be bought at a feed store and is out in the open.

It’s hard to get some stuff but not impossible here in Canada. Also not sure were the OP is from but here in Ontario Vets can only see poultry if they have a large animal livestock licence to treat. Thankfully I have horses and an awesome horse Vet I have used for over 35 Years 💕🥰
We have a farm vet but he is an avian and pet vet. He is retired but is training 5 vets to do what he does lol. He is an amazing man and we are so lucky to have him. But not for much longer unfortunately. He must have had quite the career though! ❤️

We have a farm vet but he is an avian and pet vet. He is retired but is training 5 vets to do what he does lol. He is an amazing man and we are so lucky to have him. But not for much longer unfortunately. He must have had quite the career though! ❤️
My vet is in Midland, Ontario. I'm around Angus if you know where that is lol.

I wish we could get ivermectin in a syringe. I have to buy the whole bottle. I am in us
Have you checked with feed mills and tack shops to see if you can get something similar?

When I had a whole barn full of horses I would get a bottle to worm the horses, and I know how expensive it is!

I almost bought a bottle last year to worm the chooks and would keep to treat my three elderly mates. But then when I was at the tack shop I found that liquid single dose ivermectin - thank goodness!

I am just gobsmacked at how hard it is to get qualified help for our ‘pet’ chickens (oh plenty of factory chicken Vets), and medications.

I have figured out that a half aspirin twice daily doesn’t kill my chook, and I also figured out the dosing for Tylenol, which works great with my older arthritic gals and my Roo. Right now my crew is all moulting and miserable, I have the Roos some Tylenol as he was just in misery. Made a world of difference. Now if I can just get my silkie hen to stop aggressively grooming him 😁 (she broke one of his pin feathers the other day) my Roo is a light coloured Polish so when I saw all that blood I freaked out!!

Mr P before his broken feather

FA9E7EBB-0873-49BC-A2A9-5E4DE7F0B88E.jpeg

By "whole bottle" what size are you referring to? I was just in our TSC the other day looking for something else and saw it there with the chicken stuff. It was small, like a perfume bottle's worth (an ounce or two). I wasn't paying much attention but that little bottle was $40 or $50 something! Dang, I'm sorry to anyone who needs this stuff, and hope I never do!

Back
Top Bottom