Rooster suddenly lethargic, sleeping standing up, tail feathers down. HELP!

Jaceyschram

In the Brooder
Sep 9, 2023
My young rooster (about 4 months old) is suddenly very lethargic, falling sleep standing up where his head will just tilt into the ground, and his tails feathers are down. His comb and wattle are also pale. He ate food this morning. I had this happen to another rooster about 4-6 weeks ago but none of the hens have issues and my other older rooster (about 6 months old) was very healthy but I rehome him 3 weeks ago. This is now my only rooster. None of the hens are picking on or pecking at him. He wants to be near them but can’t get enough energy to follow them everywhere so just stays somewhat near as close as he can with the little energy he has.

They free range, have organic feed, and clean water every day. I got them from a local small batch breeder with excellent healthy flock.

I want to help him but don’t know what to do. Our small town doesn’t have any chicken vets. The closest is 1.5 hours away.

Inspect him closely for lice and poultry mites.
And check the coop as well, especially where he roosts, as mites will live in the crevices and only come out at night to suck the blood of the chickens.

Feel his crop: is it empty or filled and hard or bloated like a balloon?

When did you last deworm him?

Post some pictures of his poop.

Hello! Can you post pictures of his poo? can you start treating your flock with corid?
They free range all day so I don’t know who’s poo is from who. I walked around the property and their coop and didn’t see any off looking poo. I’d rather not use Corid unless I know I have to, especially since the others seem fine

They free range all day so I don’t know who’s poo is from who. I walked around the property and their coop and didn’t see any off looking poo. I’d rather not use Corid unless I know I have to, especially since the others seem fine
I live in a remote area in South America -- no chicken vets here. To treat my birds if they aren't feeling well, the only thing I can do is try to narrow down possible causes based on symptoms and treat accordingly.

I think @LaFleche gave you the right places to start. Most likely causes of lethargy and paleness are parasites:

1. Coccidiosis. An internal parasite caused by a protozoa. Treatment: Corrid

2. Worms. Tapeworm, roundworm, threadworm etc. Treat with Safeguard or Panacur. You can also use dog dewormer, it comes in a syringe and makes it very easy to treat an individual bird! .5ml per day for 3 - 4 days, just squirt it in his beak.

3. But before treating for internal parasites, check him for parasites on his skin first. Lice, mites, poultry ticks, and sticktight fleas can all cause the symptoms you describe. All of them can be treated naturally with sulfur powder or chemically with permethrin. Don't rely on DE.

Make sure you check the coop too. Mites come out at night. Just wipe the underside of the roost bars with a white tissue. Mites will show up as black or brown specks..or red if they are filled with blood.

Here's a really good article on parasite identification and treatment

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...-fleas-dealing-with-external-parasites.74599/

Last edited:
Can you check in the morning under his perch? I would try to get him to eat some high energy food, like raw yolk and meat.

I live in a remote area in South America -- no chicken vets here. To treat my birds if they aren't feeling well, the only thing I can do is try to narrow down possible causes based on symptoms and treat accordingly.

I think @LaFleche gave you the right places to start. Most likely causes of lethargy and paleness are parasites:

2. Worms. Tapeworm, roundworm, threadworm etc. Treat with Safeguard or Panacur. You can also use dog dewormer, it comes in a syringe and makes it very easy to treat an individual bird! .5ml per day for 3 - 4 days, just squirt it in his beak.

3. But before treating for internal parasites, check him for parasites on his skin first. Lice, mites, poultry ticks, and sticktight fleas can all cause the symptoms you describe. All of them can be treated naturally with sulfur powder or chemically with permethrin. Don't rely on DE.

Make sure you check the coop too. Mites come out at night. Just wipe the underside of the roost bars with a white tissue. Mites will show up as black or brown specks..or red if they are filled with blood.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...-fleas-dealing-with-external-parasites.74599/
This was very very helpful. Thank you so much!

The link you shared isn’t working, could you repost please?

Back
Top Bottom