Rooster suddenly lethargic, sleeping standing up, tail feathers down. HELP!

If he free ranges and you think he is ill, I would keep him in the run or in a dog crate and monitor him with food and water. Check for skin parasites, and post pictures of his droppings. I would worm him with Valbazen 1/2 ml orally, and give him some poultry vitamins.
Thank you! He doesn’t seem to be improving with Corid so I will try this next.

Thank you! He doesn’t seem to be improving with Corid so I will try this next.
Did you check him over for fleas, mites or lice? Fleas are easy to see, they cluster on the comb and wattles and black dots. But for lice and mites you have to part the feathers to look at the skin.

Lice are usually beige or brown and are big enough to see them moving along the feather shafts. Their eggs look like sticky gray clumps.

Mites show up on the skin itself as clusters of black dots. Every one of those dots is a bloodsucker.

If you find any large grey squishy things filled with blood right where the feather shaft meets the skin, those are red mites and very horrible critters indeed.

Part the feathers to look especially on the back of the neck, the back where the wings fold, and under the wings. Legs too.

If you find anything, let us know. Start treatment right away. Sulfur or permethrin work. If you use permethrin on the bird, make sure you dilute according to instructions. You can find that info online. Concentrations are different in South America, so my formula won't apply. I have a 100% organic fruit farm. I don't like chemicals. But I will use permethrin on my chickens when it's necessary. External parasites are just as dangerous as internal, especially the bloodsuckers.

Last edited:
Hello! Can you post pictures of his poo? can you start treating your flock with corid?
I tried treating the affected rooster with Corid with no results yet, today I started him on a dog dewormer. He's getting worse and I'm expecting him to die any minute because of how he looks. Finally got a picture of his poop. Im nervous its Pullorum disease?
IMG_8259.PNG

Did you check him over for fleas, mites or lice? Fleas are easy to see, they cluster on the comb and wattles and black dots. But for lice and mites you have to part the feathers to look at the skin.

Lice are usually beige or brown and are big enough to see them moving along the feather shafts. Their eggs look like sticky gray clumps.

Mites show up on the skin itself as clusters of black dots. Every one of those dots is a bloodsucker.

If you find any large grey squishy things filled with blood right where the feather shaft meets the skin, those are red mites and very horrible critters indeed.

Part the feathers to look especially on the back of the neck, the back where the wings fold, and under the wings. Legs too.

If you find anything, let us know. Start treatment right away. Sulfur or permethrin work. If you use permethrin on the bird, make sure you dilute according to instructions. You can find that info online. Concentrations are different in South America, so my formula won't apply. I have a 100% organic fruit farm. I don't like chemicals. But I will use permethrin on my chickens when it's necessary. External parasites are just as dangerous as internal, especially the bloodsuckers.
I didn't see any fleas, mites, lice or other bugs on him.

Inspect him closely for lice and poultry mites.
And check the coop as well, especially where he roosts, as mites will live in the crevices and only come out at night to suck the blood of the chickens.

Feel his crop: is it empty or filled and hard or bloated like a balloon?

When did you last deworm him?

Post some pictures of his poop.
I didn't see any lice or poultry mites on him or in the coop. His crop is empty and looks like it shrinked, its very pale. I started him on a dewormer today.
IMG_8259.PNG

My young rooster (about 4 months old) is suddenly very lethargic, falling sleep standing up where his head will just tilt into the ground, and his tails feathers are down. His comb and wattle are also pale. He ate food this morning. I had this happen to another rooster about 4-6 weeks ago but none of the hens have issues and my other older rooster (about 6 months old) was very healthy but I rehome him 3 weeks ago. This is now my only rooster. None of the hens are picking on or pecking at him. He wants to be near them but can’t get enough energy to follow them everywhere so just stays somewhat near as close as he can with the little energy he has.

They free range, have organic feed, and clean water every day. I got them from a local small batch breeder with excellent healthy flock.

I want to help him but don’t know what to do. Our small town doesn’t have any chicken vets. The closest is 1.5 hours away.
One of my 4-month-old hens started just like that. Just standing stock still, staring or sleeping, not walking. I could never get near her until then. I just walked over and picked her up. She did not live more than 3 or 4 days past that. No vets in our town either. I was thinking Marek. I hope your rooster improves.

Check the bird and the coop and roosts for poultry mites and lice.
Mites cause anemia as they suck the blood of their helpless victims at night.
Deworming might help as well as treating for coccidia for a few days. It does not hurt in case there are no internal parasites present, but can save the birds in case they are the cause.

Back
Top Bottom