Kat’s Journey into Chicken Keeping

Pics
Not chickens, but our awesome ducks.
They have lately been spending a lot of time exploring the world but they come home to touch base every day or so.
View attachment 2497539
This is Big Brown, our handsome drake.

View attachment 2497540
Brownie with two of his ladies.
They are so beautiful Kat...but what a bunch of explorers...silly ducks, don't they know it's safer to stay closer to home! :love

My daughter had the Pfizer vaccine & her husband had the Modena vaccine...he also had a reaction...he just had his second shot yesterday, I'm waiting to hear how he's doing. I've heard that a lot of people are having reactions with the second dose & if you had problems the first time, then the second dose can be worse. That's how it was for my daughter, I'm hoping Josh does better, but that's not likely.
Some people are getting sick with the second dose that didn't have any problem with the first. I hope Mrs BY Bob does well with the second dose.
Thanks. Either way at least she will be protected at work.

TODAY I HAVE AN EGG STORY 🥚🥚🥚
The closest neighbors to me, the couple who built their home nearest to me, which isn’t all that close but anyway...
they keep a cute little private “petting zoo” kind of thing. So far they have acquired two donkeys, two goats, two fancy huge geese, and a flock of Pekin ducks.
Well, these ducks lay eggs in abundance, and they don’t want the eggs. I don’t know why but I love them so for the last year she has been giving me the eggs.
I haven’t been over to see them lately, they just put the eggs in a can next to our land and I go fetch them.
They must have acquired more ducks because I am getting dozens of duck eggs! Like two dozen a week!
Meanwhile my hens are giving me six to seven eggs every day, and I am suddenly up to my butt in eggs!
I have given a few dozen of my hens‘ eggs to friends, but for some reason no one wants the duck eggs.
And let me tell you, they make the best Scotch Eggs if you like them!
So, today I hard boiled all but six of the duck eggs.
I give them to the dogs (one egg per dog, shell and all) in the morning with some dry food. I saved what I need for them and chopped up the rest, shells and all. I chopped them fine, spread them out on a cookie sheet, and took them down to the chickens.
They went crazy! I’m talking feeding frenzy! Yikes!
I wish I had a video but I wasn’t prepared, I had no idea they would enjoy this treat so much!
I used to give them hard boiled egg yolks when they were little as a little protein boost, and when they seemed “sick”, but I kind of got away from that now that they are grown.
🐣🐓🐣🐓

The closest neighbors to me, the couple who built their home nearest to me, which isn’t all that close but anyway...
they keep a cute little private “petting zoo” kind of thing. So far they have acquired two donkeys, two goats, two fancy huge geese, and a flock of Pekin ducks.
Well, these ducks lay eggs in abundance, and they don’t want the eggs. I don’t know why but I love them so for the last year she has been giving me the eggs.
I haven’t been over to see them lately, they just put the eggs in a can next to our land and I go fetch them.
They must have acquired more ducks because I am getting dozens of duck eggs! Like two dozen a week!
Meanwhile my hens are giving me six to seven eggs every day, and I am suddenly up to my butt in eggs!
I have given a few dozen of my hens‘ eggs to friends, but for some reason no one wants the duck eggs.
I give them to the dogs (one egg per dog, shell and all) in the morning with some dry food. I saved what I need for them and chopped up the rest, shells and all. I chopped them fine, spread them out on a cookie sheet, and took them down to the chickens.
I wish I had a video but I wasn’t prepared, I had no idea they would enjoy this treat so much!
I used to give them hard boiled egg yolks when they were little as a little protein boost, and when they seemed “sick”, but I kind of got away from that now that they are grown.
🐣🐓🐣🐓
When I hard boil eggs I will usually make one for Hattie. She loves them. I try to find a time to sneak it to her as the others also like them. Any eggs really. Leftover omelets are a huge hit here.

🐣🐓🐣🐓
That's so fun, what a great use for over abundance! I'm thinking about get a couple of Runner ducks! I wonder if your chickens enjoy chicken eggs as much as they do the duck eggs! You should give them some and see if they react the same! :love

That's so fun, what a great use for over abundance! I'm thinking about get a couple of Runner ducks! I wonder if your chickens enjoy chicken eggs as much as they do the duck eggs! You should give them some and see if they react the same! :love
They probably will. They actually taste essentially the same. The duck eggs have a creamier texture, I would say.

Today there has been an important milestone at The Chicken Lounge!
Princess Chicken has laid her First Egg! 🥚
91676A4E-BE97-4ABF-B297-8B15314F58C5.jpeg 97EF8933-0DA3-4DE5-8877-7E13B5CAE1B8.jpeg D3193BDC-F909-45C4-A88C-1CC3673EE2FE.jpeg
Princess Chicken is my lame little girl, the one with the “sticky-outie-left lower leg. (She has become quite good at hopping where she wants to go on her good leg).

And here is a closeup of said egg.
089FBBE3-A6D6-4BE1-9D13-00E07043B60A.jpeg

It’s rather small but you know it will be tasty!
5A989B46-C270-4DB5-B749-DD11AE49146A.jpeg

🎉🎶🙌🏻🎈🤩

87D71A60-41B5-4231-B625-0899A3450410.jpeg

Last edited:
Today there has been an important milestone at The Chicken Lounge!
Princess Chicken has laid her First Egg! 🥚
View attachment 2507362View attachment 2507363View attachment 2507364
Princess Chicken is my lame little girl, the one with the “sticky-outie-left lower leg. (She has become quite good at hopping where she wants to go on her good leg).

And here is a closeup of said egg.
View attachment 2507369
It’s rather small but you know it will be tasty!
View attachment 2507370
🎉🎶🙌🏻🎈🤩

View attachment 2507378
Way to go Princess! 😍 What a gorgeous first egg! :wee :highfive:

Back
Top Bottom