keep a rooster for a day

4wdingman

In the Brooder
10 Years
Oct 31, 2009
Hi I am thinking of hatching out some chicks but when I go to get some eggs there either too much $$ or I can only get so many. I am allowed to have a rooster were i live but once i get a complaint I have to get rid of him. So I can't have one full time but its not illegal to own one. I Have a leghorn,white rock and two black sex links laying. So I was thinking could I buy a rooster and keep it for a day or two and have it mate with the hens and then get the eggs of them. Could i do this? Would the roo mate with the hens if i keep them in the coop for the day? and how long after they mate could i collect there eggs and still be fertile?

thanks

Last edited:
The hens will stay fertile for 2-3 weeks, but they most likely will not mate with a strange male, and you risk introducing all kinds of diseases this new chicken could bring. It really isnt worth it in the long run.

Quote:
Not sure why jeaucamom thinks the hens won`t mate with a new rooster, unless he`s a young one. A mature cock will take them all in very short order, then it may take up to 3 days for their eggs to be fertile, due to egg developement time inside the hen. If you own the roo for a week, he`ll make your eggs fertile for 3 weeks or more. The possibility of him bringing some unforseen thing to your flock is a destinct possibility. Most folks quarentine a new bird for up to a month. Have you given thought as to how you will be incubating the eggs?........Pop

I have my own incubator and all that just wanted to get some cheap hatching eggs

I'm in Australia. Pm me about what type of eggs you are looking for and what you want to pay remember I will need to post them to you so you will need to include that. Otherwise try placing an add on here asking for hatching eggs. State where you are maybe there is another Aussie member closer that could help you out. I agree about not having a Rooster for a few days. You will need to keep a new rooster seperate from your flock for at least afew weeks so probably not worth the effort.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom