Keep everyone together? Best Housing?

tiffanyh

Songster
12 Years
Apr 8, 2007
Connecticut
I am embarrassed to ask these questions since I have done many hours of research here and throughout the internet, am a certified vet tech, owned chickens and doves for years, but I figure better to ask you experts than to hurt the birds at all....

So I am a pigeon collector of sorts. I have just a few now, but I end up with ones from the vets after care. So now I have 2 german owls (females) and a racing pigeons (one band, no numbers, came in with horrible eye infection and now seems to have lost some vision in one eye). I want to adjust the current housing situation as the racer lives with a lone dove (male) in a large cage that can not be wintered and the two girls live together in a small loft that can be wintered. I would like to get them into matching cages or one cage that look nice in my yard.

So here are my questions:

1. The girls beat up anyone I try to add to their small loft? Is that normal and would they stop eventually if I gave it time?

2. Can I mix these bird together (maybe minus the dove-I dont want him to get hurt) without trouble?

3. If I mix them together in one larger cage and I create an indoor section for winter- does it need separate compartments for each bird potentially?

4. I am looking for a smaller loft/flight cage set up, maybe 4x6x6 if I can do one large cage or should I break this space up into smaller separate sections and pair off birds?

5. I have three male doves and I would like to work there living space into the same situation so all the birds are in one area-even if it is a separate part. If I break them up into 3 pigeons and 3 doves in separate cages am I asking for trouble with the "one extra" situation?

My fantasy? To put all 6 of them in one "flight cage" that is 4x6x6 with small indoor part and everyone lives in harmony. Not possible? Right?

These are birds that would live in cages permanently- no free flight around here due to large hawk population.

Just want to give them comfortable lives!

Thanks everyone!

Last edited:
1. The girls beat up anyone I try to add to their small loft? Is that normal and would they stop eventually if I gave it time?
How big of a house are they in right now? They may be fighting over space, or may be territorial males. But if they have enough space just watch them carefully as they work it out.

2. Can I mix these bird together (maybe minus the dove-I dont want him to get hurt) without trouble? You can keep the breeds together, they may mate and have strange looking babies, though.
smile.png

3. If I mix them together in one larger cage and I create an indoor section for winter- does it need separate compartments for each bird potentially? Mates need their own nesting boxes and generally every bird likes to have it's own perch.

4. I am looking for a smaller loft/flight cage set up, maybe 4x6x6 if I can do one large cage or should I break this space up into smaller separate sections and pair off birds? If these are just pets i'd make one big cage for the pigeons and a separate one for the doves.

5. I have three male doves and I would like to work there living space into the same situation so all the birds are in one area-even if it is a separate part. If I break them up into 3 pigeons and 3 doves in separate cages am I asking for trouble with the "one extra" situation? I'd definitely watch the 3 male doves for fighting.

My fantasy? To put all 6 of them in one "flight cage" that is 4x6x6 with small indoor part and everyone lives in harmony. Not possible? Right? Pigeons will probably bully the doves so I wouldn't put the doves in there.
Hope this helps:) Also, I would try to get all the pigeons in their own cage away from the doves. Maybe get the 3rd one a friend? Good luck!

Last edited:
Extra hens in the loft always spells trouble. Just make sure they all have a roosting spot all their own.A set of cubicles made from one x fours ,kind of lkie a what-not shelf is good. If you don't mind them crossbreeding them by all means put them all together. They will choose their own mates and will set up house keeping! General rule for a community loft is lots of space,room and spot for everyone ,at least two feeders separated as far as possible and then let nature take its course. They may fight but I have never had serious injury happen.

Back
Top Bottom