Keep in coop to encourage laying?

Little Min's Hens

Hatching
9 Years
Aug 28, 2010
We have three Partridge Plymouth Rock hens raised from spring chicks. They have a charming, custom coop, nest box, and allowed to roam the backyard some of the day. Layeena feed now, oyster shells, occasional tomato and scratch treats and coop cleaned weekly. The most docile one lays in the box or in the lamb's ear almost daily. She lost her pal to a predator in June. The other two that have paired up are either NOT laying, or laying somewhere when on free range that we cannot find, in spite of much detective work. There is an obvious hierarchy, but I didn't think I'd have two non-layers vying for roostership!? There is no hostility between them, and altho their degrees of affection toward us varies, they will all gather near to where we are throughout the day, even watching us through the sliding glass door!

My question is, do we restrict them to the coop for a few days to encourage them to lay? Or would that be too stressful and defeat the purpose? Other thoughts? options?

I'm no expert, but I think if you just keep doing what you are doing you'll either see they just haven't started laying yet or they will eventually give up their hidden laying spot! By the way, welcome to BYC!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom