Keeping a Chicken Run From Getting Muddy?

I suggest wood chips as the base for a deep litter system.

People who use sand successfully are generally in a dry climate where they can scoop poop from the run like cleaning a cat box. In a wet climate the poop melts into the sand and stays forever.

Deep litter is a form of cold composting that uses a mix of materials to digest both the poop and the materials -- turning them into odorless, useful compost which will, in due time, turn any soil into rich, black, fertile, absorbent but easy-draining soil.

This a nasty problem you’re dealing with so this is a good question! I had a similar problem many years ago bc I have clay (mixed with adobe) where I live.

If you make holes in the ground and fill them up with pebbles you create a drainage. It depends on the ground/soil how deep you have to dig.
I made holes every 4’ and 4’ deep. Filled them with river stones/pebbles and never had a water problem since.

I have the same mud thing going on here in Western Washington. Earlier this year I got a bale of straw and put it all over the run. It worked well, the mud stayed mostly under the straw and the chickens seemed to like scratching it around. By now it's all stirred under but the run isn't as wet and muddy as it was. I might add another layer. I tried sand in the open part of the coop when I first got chickens with very poor results. As was mentioned above, the poo melted into the sand and it was extremely stinky and mucky in short order. I'll certainly keep watching this thread. Thanks everyone!

In western WA I'd go with deep litter and not sand/gravel. Think something like the forest floor. Keeping it dry is not the goal, having good drainage is. Your trees are potentially already one source of materials. Depending on what you have on your lot, you can use materials from your trees (chipped branches, fallen leaves), lawn clippings (assuming they're not treated), garden or weed trimmings, etc.

Back
Top Bottom