Keeping a Chicken Run From Getting Muddy?

I suggest wood chips as the base for a deep litter system.

People who use sand successfully are generally in a dry climate where they can scoop poop from the run like cleaning a cat box. In a wet climate the poop melts into the sand and stays forever.

Deep litter is a form of cold composting that uses a mix of materials to digest both the poop and the materials -- turning them into odorless, useful compost which will, in due time, turn any soil into rich, black, fertile, absorbent but easy-draining soil.

I would also agree that the best method for me was a deep litter system. Assuming you have some drainage and are not sitting in a pond of water... After my chickens ate all the grass in the chicken run, I started my deep litter system by dumping about 4 inches of wood chips on my bare dirt. My drainage was good, and even after a heavy rain the wood chips would be clean on top, even if the wood chips below were still soaking wet. Over the past year, I have continued to dump in grass clippings, fall leaves, and more wood chips until now my deep litter in the run is almost 16 inches deep. Kitchen scraps just get thrown on top of everything and the chickens will eat what they want and scratch the rest into the litter. Eventually I hope to use the composted material in my garden.

I just use my nose to maintain a nice earthy smell in the chicken run - kind of like the smell of the forest floor. Too much green grass clippings, just add more leaves or wood chips to bring it back in balance. If you don't intend to use the run material as compost, then just wood chips should be fine. I get all my wood chips for free at our county landfill. They charge the arborists to dump the wood chips at the site, but anyone can go there and load up the wood chips for free.

I live in Western Washington, too, and know the problem well. I had an arborist bring in a load of wood chips (alder and fir, mostly) a few years back and they work great. They take forever to break down so everything stays nice and clean. As they scritch around in it, it's sort of self-cleaning. Aim for about 2-3" deep overall, deeper if you have any serious mud wallows. I keep thinking I'll need another top-dressing of chips, maybe an every-five-years kind of thing. This isn't bark, or beauty bark, or compost, just fresh, raw wood chips. Arborists can hardly get rid of the stuff, so you can probably get someone to dump a load on your driveway for free. I have geese, hens, ducks, and cats out there and they all like it.

Hi, everyone! This may be a silly question, but does anyone have any tips for keeping chicken runs from getting muddy? I live in Western Washington, where it's raining most of the time. My chicken run is big, about 30' square and I can't cover it. While I do have two huge evergreens growing in the middle, they don't stop most of the rain. The dirt is packed as hard as rock in half of it, and during storms, my chickens are sloshing around in the water, which can not be good for them. To sum it up, do any of you have any tips for making the dirt better draining and getting less muddy? Thanks!
I put straw in the run when it gets muddy. Works well and the girls seem to like it

IF you have access to it I would suggest pea stone. My chickens free range and are only confined to the run for 4 months over winter . Come spring I move the tractor and the spring rains wash off the pea stone and it is ready for the winter.
SIDE NOTE: I use it in our High Tunnel for my walk ways and it works great at wicking the water away when I forget to set a timer.

Back
Top Bottom