Keeping a Chicken Run From Getting Muddy?

Wow! I haven't bet getting any notifications about this thread recently for some reason but I am so thankful for all the replies! Now I have to decide which way to use. The one thing with sand is that it would be very expensive for me to get enough sand to cover the entire run, and a lot of work as well. I like the straw idea as well, but it's pretty expensive in my area. :hmm However, I can still definitely look into those options. Thinking deep litter method in the parts where it is muddy, but another idea is to cover just the extremely muddy part. What do you guys think?

Thinking deep litter method in the parts where it is muddy, but another idea is to cover just the extremely muddy part. What do you guys think?

I'd cover the whole thing, working on the muddy parts first. If you leave the rest uncovered it can possibly end up muddy as the rest, so why let it get to that point?

See if a tree company will dump off a load or two of chips for you, a single good pile can cover quite a lot of area (or be used over many years). Not sure about where you're at but I regularly see tree company trucks rumbling by with "CALL FOR FREE CHIPS".

I couldn't have a truck get to the chicken coop. You have to walk through a forest to get to it. Is there another way besides having it dumped on site?

How close could a truck get? Is there somewhere else on your lot that chips could be dumped? It'll be work to have to wheelbarrow it in but shouldn't be too difficult.

Conversely some cities have chips that residents can pick up for free, if you have a pick up that is small enough to fit to get to the spot.

Thanks! I bet that I could get it dropped off on my driveway area

That works. Just make sure you have area sufficient for a pile. A lot of folks here have it dumped next to the street in front of their homes and then wheelbarrow it to wherever they want it on their lot. A bit of a hassle, but not too heavy or hard to move as long as you have a good bedding fork.

I couldn't have a truck get to the chicken coop. You have to walk through a forest to get to it. Is there another way besides having it dumped on site?

I have my wood chips in a large pile by the road, not by my chicken coop/run. I have a riding lawn mower with a tow behind metal cart that I usually fill up with wood chips to bring to the coop/run. Another option I often use is a Poly Dump Cart that I got from Menards. For me, at my age, 4 wheels on a cart is better than a one wheeled wheelbarrow. They say it will hold up to 1,100 lbs., but even full of wood chips, it would not weigh very much. Also, the poly dump cart will not tip over and you don't have to stress your back like with a standard wheelbarrow. The poly dump cart is more expensive than a wheelbarrow, but I'm at an age where protecting my back is more important than protecting my bank savings. What I really like about this model is that the handle can be set to pull by hand as in the picture, or the handle can rotate down into the shaft and you can tow the cart behind a riding lawn mower.

poly dump cart.jpg

poly dump cart handle.jpg

I suspect most people would be unable to get a big truck full of wood chips right next to their coop/run and would have to find alternative ways to get the wood chips to the final destination.

:old If you are on a really tight budget, than a couple of 5 gallon buckets filled with wood chips would be easy to tote. Nothing says that the project has to be done in one day. I often break up bigger projects and do a little each day and over time, it gets done.

Just wonder you don’t consider the proposition in the quotes below. If the ground has a impermeable layer, the best way to deal with stagnating water is to break through this layer.
Do you know what type of ground/soil youre garden is ? Is it possible there is a layer of clay underneath the top soil?

This a nasty problem you’re dealing with so this is a good question! I had a similar problem many years ago bc I have clay (mixed with adobe) where I live.

If you make holes in the ground and fill them up with pebbles you create a drainage. It depends on the ground/soil how deep you have to dig.
I made holes every 4’ and 4’ deep. Filled them with river stones/pebbles and never had a water problem since.
Just 12 cm / 4.5’’ wide. We have a tool here to make such holes (for poles).

This problem was adjusted before some months ago. There should be more info in this thread.:
/how-to-get-rid-of-mud-in-the-out-door-run.1344863/#post-22094811

Wood chips are by far your best bet. Before you haul all your chips back to the coop, it is worthwhile considering why it's muddy. The best situation is to have a gently sloping yard so that heavy rain runs off to an area you don't care about. Your run is already built, so if it's flat it will be muddy. If it is in a low spot, all the rain will run into it and it will be muddy. In those situations you might be able to dig a drainage swale to carry off the water. Sometimes it will mostly be muddy where the gate is. In that case, a few 12"x12" concrete pavers can create a solid step. About a buck apiece at Home Depot. If it's just muddy because, Seattle, then pile on the wood chips and call it good. They don't break down and turn to mush like straw, and sand only works in summer, meaning August. My chips are going strong after 4 winters.

Wood chips are by far your best bet. Before you haul all your chips back to the coop, it is worthwhile considering why it's muddy. The best situation is to have a gently sloping yard so that heavy rain runs off to an area you don't care about. Your run is already built, so if it's flat it will be muddy. If it is in a low spot, all the rain will run into it and it will be muddy. In those situations you might be able to dig a drainage swale to carry off the water. Sometimes it will mostly be muddy where the gate is. In that case, a few 12"x12" concrete pavers can create a solid step. About a buck apiece at Home Depot. If it's just muddy because, Seattle, then pile on the wood chips and call it good. They don't break down and turn to mush like straw, and sand only works in summer, meaning August. My chips are going strong after 4 winters.
I was considering wood chips too. But then I was reading wood chips can cause foot problems like Bumble foot. I have a flat garden (The Netherlands is as flat as you can imagine). Therefore I looked into water management for wet gardens.

Digging one big hole or several smaller holes, fill them with pebbles , gets the water into the ground.

Back
Top Bottom