Keeping a dust bath dry?!

I had a canopy set up in my back yard for my gardening supplies. But after the last big storm (which also ripped the side that I still need to repair) I decided to put it in the chicken yard. They liked it, so I put a second one up for them. It keeps the rain out of that area where it pools in the center. And keeps it out of the dust bath (blue kiddy pool).

Attachments

• Canopy in Chicken Yard 01.jpg
    Canopy in Chicken Yard 01.jpg
    192.9 KB · Views: 23
  • Canopy in Chicken Yard 02.jpg
    Canopy in Chicken Yard 02.jpg
    211.1 KB · Views: 23
I had a canopy set up in my back yard for my gardening supplies. But after the last big storm (which also ripped the side that I still need to repair) I decided to put it in the chicken yard. They liked it, so I put a second one up for them. It keeps the rain out of that area where it pools in the center. And keeps it out of the dust bath (blue kiddy pool).
Love the idea but they are very expensive :( any cheaper options?

We have a big canvas shelter, but for anyone who does not, a tub with a canvas top is a good plan.
I have had an idea myself... Please tell me if you think it'd work. You get two large 50l plastic storage containers, invert one on the other, screw them together. Then you put the dust bath in there and cut a chicken sized hole with a walk way up (plus holes for ventilation (many)) ?

I have had an idea myself... Please tell me if you think it'd work. You get two large 50l plastic storage containers, invert one on the other, screw them together. Then you put the dust bath in there and cut a chicken sized hole with a walk way up (plus holes for ventilation (many)) ?

:yesss: Be sure to introduce it to the chickens, maybe throw in some grain so they scratch around in there and get the hang of it.
Go for it!

Yes lots off vent. holes but make them small.

Try and position it so that sun comes in as much as possible through the opening. Maybe make it a bit larger than your chickens, they don't like to dustbathe in the pitch-black.

:yesss: Be sure to introduce it to the chickens, maybe throw in some grain so they scratch around in there and get the hang of it.
Go for it!

Yes lots off vent. holes but make them small.

Try and position it so that sun comes in as much as possible through the opening. Maybe make it a bit larger than your chickens, they don't like to dustbathe in the pitch-black.
Yeah the box on top will be clear so plenty of light :) How much ventilation do you think? You said lots, but that is open to the eyes of the maker XD and I haven't kept chooks for long :)

Back
Top Bottom