Keeping a dust bath dry?!

Thanks for the idea! We have something like that for our waterer/feeder made from roof felt and pallet wood. It wouldn't do a good enough job sadly :( the dirt would be wet soon

If the ground is that wet you probably need to work on your drainage overall before focusing on the dust bath. It's not good for chickens to have wet feet all the time. :)

If the ground is that wet you probably need to work on your drainage overall before focusing on the dust bath. It's not good for chickens to have wet feet all the time. :)
Surprisingly there isn't much runoff. I dug a ditch to divert water and we are planning on putting up a tarpaulin. But the water is from the rain only now, and seemingly no runoff from up the hill...

Now that I've pulled the basil out, mine dust bathe in the grow bags I made from landscape cloth. The dirt is usually dry a day after it rains, so they are more suitable for chickens than plants😆

Attachments

• IMG_20201122_111551453.jpg
    IMG_20201122_111551453.jpg
    869.6 KB · Views: 19
Now that I've pulled the basil out, mine dust bathe in the grow bags I made from landscape cloth. The dirt is usually dry a day after it rains, so they are more suitable for chickens than plants😆
:D I like the idea, seems effective! But our dirt just seems to stay sooo wet until summer and then the chooks are covered in mud from 'mudbathing'. Plus I think an artificial one will be good! Sand, wood ash and maybe some herbs

I have had an idea myself... Please tell me if you think it'd work. You get two large 50l plastic storage containers, invert one on the other, screw them together. Then you put the dust bath in there and cut a chicken sized hole with a walk way up (plus holes for ventilation (many)) ?
How big is that in inches by inches by inches(or centimetres)?
Might work......if it sheds rainwater well and doesn't leak.

Back
Top Bottom