Keeping a MEAN broody hen?

serendipity22

Songster
12 Years
Jul 1, 2007
NC
So, this is my first post. First, I would like to say that I love this website. I've been reading it for a number of weeks and it has answered lots of questions for me.

Now the question... I have a horribly mean hen. But she is an excellent mother. Goes broody constantly. She attacks me, my son, the dog, other chickens. (With or without babies by her side!). My current list of chickens is 3 sex link hens that are laying (they're over 2 years old). The rest are pullets around 15 weeks, RIR's, Cuckoo Marans, Buff Orphingtons, Black Jersey Giants, a barred rock and 2 Golden Campines. As well as a RIR rooster, a Cuckoo Maran rooster and 2 Black Jersey Giant roosters that are separate from the flock of hens.

Should I... Keep her forever, keep her until another hen shows a tendency toward broodiness or put her in a pot?

I'll never let her raise her own babies cause they're as mean as she is. But I would use her to hatch other eggs of higher quality. But she's so mean! What would you do with her?

Thanks!

welcome!

if you think she is to mean to the other birds you shoould take her from the nest at night and take the eggs put her in a quit dark place with food and water and wen the chicks hatch let her be with the flock again.

Good luck!!!
big_smile.png

Thanks for the reply.

She, as well as the rest of the flock (minus the roos) free range. Lots of Room! Her current batch of babies are a month old. She runs the whole 6 acre farm. Everyone and everything runs from her. Except me, I'll wack her!
tongue.png

She's some sort of mix chicken that came from a friend of mine about a year ago. My chickens are so sweet and docile except for this one bird... And all the babies she raises are the same way.

What would you do with her? I keep imagining her in a pot!
lol.png

Oh, a little story...
I was out feeding them one morning and she proceeds to attack me. My RIR roo saves the day by chasing her into a corner! He did it twice in one day! He's my HERO!!
Now, I promise you folks that I really do not bother this chicken. I try and respect her but...

Yea, I keep envisioning a nice broth...

She's my only broody hen. I don't know how long it takes for a hen to go broody. All my new hens are so young and I would like to have the option of raising off of her next year.

I'm thinking I'll keep her around, let her hatch me some chicks, take all but a couple away from her so I can raise them myself and she's happy too.

When another hen shows a tendency toward broodiness, this one's outahere!

But then again, I really really don't need any more chickens...
big_smile.png

At last count, there are 60 chickens on my property right now...

I really don't need any more chickens (right now)
tongue.png

Serendipity, I am TOTALLY with you. I say either give her to someone else wanting a broody hen, or yes, make some stew.

We have a similar bird who drew blood pecking me once when I went to get eggs from under her. I'm afraid to get eggs from under her now even with a glove because of the force with which she goes at me. I'd say she was just being a good mom, but she's squashed chicks she hatched and abandoned chicks we've tried sticking under her. Plus the chicks she raises are a lot like her as well. Very skitish / not friendly. She would SO be gone by now if it weren't for my MIL & daughter who think she's so beautiful and is their favorite one.
barnie.gif
Still trying to talk Nifty-Chicken into booting her out of here.

Anyway, I say if you don't need more chickens, what is there to lose? Except for terror in the chicken yard.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom