Keeping Animals Out of a Tractor Coop

danvillehome

Hatching
7 Years
Feb 23, 2012
I am building a 4x6 moveable coop/run combo but don't know how to prevent predators from getting into the run from under walls. If this were a fixed-location coop, I know that I'd dig it into the ground to insure that animal couldn't burrow under it; with this being designed to move every few days in a backyard with VERY little flat/level ground, I'm not sure how to go about protecting the hens. Should I put chicken wire along the bottom of the run/coop in addition to all the sides? Will that hurt the chickens or will it not bother them? Should I pile up sandbags along the edges and just move them with the coop? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated-- THANK YOU!!!

A lot of people apron out the fencing. The fencing lays on the ground flat next to the walls. Hardware cloth apron is a good advanced search term for BYC to find threads and hopefully pics.

Use the advanced search as the regular search doesn't work for some reason usually.

Chicken wire should not be used...only 1/2 inch hardware cloth to keep out raccoons, dogs, weasels, and rats. They all eat chickens.

Back
Top Bottom