Keeping Away Bugs/Mosquitos?

angie_02

Chirping
Jun 2, 2017
Hi!
I understand a chicken coop provides a great attraction for bugs (ahem...all the poop) but it's summer now and it's hot and mosquitos and small flying bugs/gnats are miserable! I'm just wondering if there are ways to lessen or help to repel all these bugs from the coop? Or if they don't really bother the chickens? I've also noticed ants in the coop and that doesn't seem like a good place for them :( I'm not sure if chickens really get annoyed with bugs but I do know mosquitos can carry diseases. Any advice would be great! Thanks!

For mosquitoes it's important to dump water out on a regular basis to not allow them to reproduce. For flies you should remove droppings on a regular basis. If it's a bad fly year I will use those fly strips in the coop.

Chickens will generally eat ants, so they shouldn't be a problem. I don't live in fire ant country, so I believe those may be a problem.

Both flies and mosquitoes carry diseases, and can cause other problems so it's best to try to control both as best as you can.

Keep the coop as clean as possible. Change the water daily or keep the water deliver system clean. Remove food and water at night. Using fans will also keep the bugs away as they can't tolerate wind. Since I have horses, I use a lot of Repel-X around the barn which has a pleasant odor that most bugs don't appreciate.

So I'm in AZ and my coop has a huge black ant problem. Here in AZ the black ants bite and those bites STING!! Last night when I went out to feed the chickens the entire coop was CRAWLING! I got bit on my feet and ended up using stepstools to get around. For some reason my chickens aren't even interested in ants any ideas why? Are there any natural pet friendly ant remedies?

So I'm in AZ and my coop has a huge black ant problem. Here in AZ the black ants bite and those bites STING!! Last night when I went out to feed the chickens the entire coop was CRAWLING! I got bit on my feet and ended up using stepstools to get around. For some reason my chickens aren't even interested in ants any ideas why? Are there any natural pet friendly ant remedies?

https://www.backyardchickens.com/search/154954/?q=Ants&o=relevance&c[title_only]=1

Back
Top Bottom