Keeping babies safe while integrating

Jntnrmn

Songster
5 Years
Jul 7, 2015
Peru, Indiana
Hi everyone, it's been quite awhile since I have been online in general, I hope everyone is well!
I have a question and am not sure how to word it for a search for past answers so I hope you all bare with me for asking something that has likely been discussed.....
I am hoping to integrate the littles with the bigs, as of the past few weeks the littles are in a pen that is attached to the main pen that the bigs live in. They can see one another and often reach into each other's side to eat....anyways....my question is this...I remember many folks discussing setting up an area where littles can escape bigs as needed, I'm wondering if you would mind sending pictures and/or descriptions on how to do this. Our adult RIR are RUTHLESS with newbies and this batch of littles is QUITE skittish. I have always been able to be outside during the integration process and get the littles back to their own coop as needed but I know that will not be easy at all with this batch. They are ridiculously skittish!
The two pens are attached by a gate, a coop in each side. The littles pen is a 10by10 kennel.
As I said, our reds are relentless and ruthless but EVENTUALLY let up and accept newbies. It took THREE months of constant interaction for them to accept the BRs and about 3-4 weeks for them to accept the bantams and the cockerel we had for a short time.
I would be very thankful for any ideas. I work much better with specific direction but understand if no one has the time for that.
I wish everyone a most blessed and glorious day!
Janet N

Hi everyone, it's been quite awhile since I have been online in general, I hope everyone is well!
I have a question and am not sure how to word it for a search for past answers so I hope you all bare with me for asking something that has likely been discussed.....
I am hoping to integrate the littles with the bigs, as of the past few weeks the littles are in a pen that is attached to the main pen that the bigs live in. They can see one another and often reach into each other's side to eat....anyways....my question is this...I remember many folks discussing setting up an area where littles can escape bigs as needed, I'm wondering if you would mind sending pictures and/or descriptions on how to do this. Our adult RIR are RUTHLESS with newbies and this batch of littles is QUITE skittish. I have always been able to be outside during the integration process and get the littles back to their own coop as needed but I know that will not be easy at all with this batch. They are ridiculously skittish!
The two pens are attached by a gate, a coop in each side. The littles pen is a 10by10 kennel.
As I said, our reds are relentless and ruthless but EVENTUALLY let up and accept newbies. It took THREE months of constant interaction for them to accept the BRs and about 3-4 weeks for them to accept the bantams and the cockerel we had for a short time.
I would be very thankful for any ideas. I work much better with specific direction but understand if no one has the time for that.
I wish everyone a most blessed and glorious day!
Janet N

PS: I should mention that the pullets aren't too much smaller than the hens at this point

Back
Top Bottom