Keeping bettas

bettas. One of the harder fish to keep/breed. I want to go over the basics, and not so basic, parts of keeping betta fish.

Male bettas will generally have longer fins then the female with shorter fins. Male bettas are also VERY agressive and if kept together (which should never happen) they will fight to the death.
Any adjustment should be done gradually.

Water:
PH: 6.8-7.4 (ideal)
You may add about one tablespoon of aquarium salt.

Environment:
Glass marbles at the bottom of the tank are easy to manage and clean. Artificial plants can be easy to clean but not as real. I would suggest a log. Real plants might simulate their real habitat more though.

BETTA BUDDIES:

-Neon Tetras- great fish to keep with bettas
-White Cloud Mountain Minnows
-Harlequin Rasboras
-African Dwarf Frogs
-Apple Snails
-Otocinclus Catfish
-Bristlenose plecos
-Cory Catfish
-Glass Catfish
-Khulii Loach
-Ghost Shrimp
-Cardinal tetras
-Swordtails
-Female guppies (NO MALES)

*You can also keep FEMALE bettas together in a group of 4-5.
*be prepared to separate fish if you decide to keep them together and they fight.
*if you choose to have guppies, I would make sure that you have a laid back betta. (I do not recommend this for most bettas)

BREEDING:

Ask me specific questions if you have them about breeding.

[TIP: don't use gravel while breeding them as the unhatched fry can get lost in there]

If there are any other questions about these remarkable fish, ask me. Also, feel free to share your fish and correct me if I'm wrong.

Wishes,
Diana

Last edited:
I have kept and bred bettas, and I can tell you that it is extremely hard to breed them but not to keep them! I love them, they are very pretty and fun to watch hope to see this thread to go far!

I have a betta in a 20 gallon tank along with 5 mountain cloud minnows, 4 cherry barbs, 4 ghost shrimp, and 2 Cory cats, and all of them get along well. My betta comes right up to my arm when I put it in the tank to rearrange the rouge Java fern which keeps getting free and floating, my rosette sword plant stays in place a lot better because its roots actually are under the gravel and a Javas roots will rot if its roots are under gravel, which makes it tricky to place.

Last edited:
bettas. One of the harder fish to keep/breed. I want to go over the basics, and not so basic, parts of keeping betta fish.

Male bettas will generally have longer fins then the female with shorter fins. Male bettas are also VERY agressive and if kept together (which should never happen) they will fight to the death.
Any adjustment should be done gradually.

Water:
PH: 6.8-7.4 (ideal)
You may add about one tablespoon of aquarium salt. One tablespoon of salt per what amount of water? Clarify.

Environment:
Glass marbles at the bottom of the tank are easy to manage and clean. Artificial plants can be easy to clean but not as real. I would suggest a log. Real plants might simulate their real habitat more though.

BETTA BUDDIES: Any 'buddies' are merely tolerated by Betta splendens and add significantly to the bioload of an aquarium.

-Neon Tetras- great fish to keep with bettas No these are not, because these are fin nippers.
-White Cloud Mountain Minnows Schooling fish, needs 5-6 to be healthy.
-Harlequin Rasboras These are also fin nippers.
-African Dwarf Frogs Do not accidentally purchase African Clawed Frogs
-Apple Snails
-Otocinclus Catfish Schooling fish, needs 5-6 to be healthy.
-Bristlenose plecos
-Cory Catfish Schooling fish, needs 5-6 to be healthy.
-Glass Catfish
-Blue Gourami Blue gourami might be aggressive towards Betta splendens.
-Khulii Loach Schooling fish, needs 5-6 to be healthy.
-Ghost Shrimp
-Cardinal tetras These are also fin nippers.
-Swordtails
-Female guppies (NO MALES)

*You can also keep FEMALE bettas together in a group of 4-5. With enough space, ample hiding places, and a plethora of plants can a 'school' of females be kept. Female Betta splendens also can be aggressive towards one another if crammed into a small tank without proper accommodation.
*be prepared to separate fish if you decide to keep them together and they fight.
*if you choose to have guppies, I would make sure that they are NOT fancy guppies.

BREEDING:

Ask me specific questions if you have them about breeding.

[TIP: don't use gravel while breeding them as the unhatched fry can get lost in there]

If there are any other questions about these remarkable fish, ask me. Also, feel free to share your fish and correct me if I'm wrong.

Wishes,
Diana

You need to edit your post to include that an aquarium heater is a MUST for Betta splendens in a temperate environment. They are a tropical fish and require a water temperature between 75-82 degrees Fahrenheit in order to be healthy. A thermometer is needed to ensure the temperature is stable. Adjust temperature slowly.

Last edited:
You need to edit your post to include that an aquarium heater is a MUST for Betta splendens in a temperate environment. They are a tropical fish and require a water temperature between 75-82 degrees Fahrenheit in order to be healthy. A thermometer is needed to ensure the temperature is stable. Adjust temperature slowly.
A thermometer is not an absolute necessity for bettas, my old betta lived years without a heater, and the tank I have right now isn't heated and my current betta is doing just fine, he's active, eating well, etc. it's recommended but not necessary, remember that most people keep them in bowls and they live okay lives, they don't thrive but it's possible for them to live.

A thermometer is not an absolute necessity for bettas, my old betta lived years without a heater, and the tank I have right now isn't heated and my current betta is doing just fine, he's active, eating well, etc. it's recommended but not necessary, remember that most people keep them in bowls and they live okay lives, they don't thrive but it's possible for them to live.

"Okay" is not thriving, there is a major difference between care that barely scrapes by and following the recommended guidelines. You need to do a little more research on proper care. Betta splendens are a species from Thailand (formerly known as Siam). Much of the country is classified as being Tropical Wet. If you need a little more evidence, here are monthly averages for the city of Bangkok, Thailand.

Your 'experience' is one of providing improper care. So please, do that research I mentioned before giving care advice.

"Okay" is not thriving, there is a major difference between care that barely scrapes by and following the recommended guidelines. You need to do a little more research on proper care. Betta splendens are a species from Thailand (formerly known as Siam). Much of the country is classified as being Tropical Wet. If you need a little more evidence, here are monthly averages for the city of Bangkok, Thailand.

Your 'experience' is one of providing improper care. So please, do that research I mentioned before giving care advice.

X 2 Bettas "can" live in a bowl, but they are not happy. Keeping a Betta in bowl with 2 cups of water is like putting a large dog in a crate and expecting him to be happy.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom