Keeping bettas

"Okay" is not thriving, there is a major difference between care that barely scrapes by and following the recommended guidelines. You need to do a little more research on proper care. Betta splendens are a species from Thailand (formerly known as Siam). Much of the country is classified as being Tropical Wet. If you need a little more evidence, here are monthly averages for the city of Bangkok, Thailand.

Your 'experience' is one of providing improper care. So please, do that research I mentioned before giving care advice.
My set up is a fully functional aquarium with an air stone, filter, live plants, and fish, the only thing I don't have is a heater, nor do I need one, my betta is pretty darn healthy, he was near dead in the store and now he's flourishing. I was just pointing out that they can survive in not perfect conditions, I do not condone the keeping of bettas in bowls, I was saying that they can live in that situation but it's not recommended

You need to edit your post to include that an aquarium heater is a MUST for Betta splendens in a temperate environment. They are a tropical fish and require a water temperature between 75-82 degrees Fahrenheit in order to be healthy. A thermometer is needed to ensure the temperature is stable. Adjust temperature slowly.

Sorry Stacy. I have kept neon tetras for ten years and have NEVER had any fin nippers. Do they occasionally attack fry? Yes. But they have not nipped fins. Khulii loaches do not school. They mostly keep to themselves, occasionally following one or two others. I had a ten year old dojo loach who lived without any other loaches for his entire life. He thrived. Got longer than any I have ever seen, was fat and healthy, and was quite annoyed by my worm loach following him. Cardinal tetras can be kept in groups as small as three, as can Neons. Cory cats do not need large groups. Two together are fine. Mine lived and thrived for many years this way and were shy to other fish. Some of what you posted is simply not true. My Bettas are in fish bowls, although large ones, with frequent water changes and cycling into different bowls each cleaning, they have done great and my male is building a bubble nest already. You mustn't always jump to conclusions. Not all bowls are oppressing environments. My fish much preferred the bowls to my pond and 18 gallon, where they were scared, insecure, and sticking to the plants to avoid being out in the open. The space was too vast for them. You're post was a little harsh towards Dianacatz. You never know if you are dealing with a minor, or a very juvenile adult. :)

Regards,
Leaf

I've kept a Betta in a tank with platys and catfish, and all got along just fine. I thought it was a really nice combo. My Betta would occasionally chase the platys if they got too close, but the tank was large enough that he had places to hide and he spent a lot of time harassing the little pond snails that found their way into my tank (he was great at keeping the population down).

I would consider a heater necessary for a Betta. In fact, a lot of the fish on the list are tropical and should have heat. In perfect conditions, bettas can live 9 or 10 years! Any I've kept before researching how to keep them only lived a max of 3. That's a pretty significant difference, and while I had those fish, they all "looked" healthy but in the end they died really early. Granted, it's difficult to know how old they are when you buy them but a few I knew were pretty young judging from the tail size.

I do agree with Stacy that gouramis are not a good choice. They are in a similar family as bettas and don't get along. I also don't think it is easy to put females together.

I've kept a Betta in a tank with platys and catfish, and all got along just fine. I thought it was a really nice combo. My Betta would occasionally chase the platys if they got too close, but the tank was large enough that he had places to hide and he spent a lot of time harassing the little pond snails that found their way into my tank (he was great at keeping the population down).

I would consider a heater necessary for a Betta. In fact, a lot of the fish on the list are tropical and should have heat. In perfect conditions, bettas can live 9 or 10 years! Any I've kept before researching how to keep them only lived a max of 3. That's a pretty significant difference, and while I had those fish, they all "looked" healthy but in the end they died really early. Granted, it's difficult to know how old they are when you buy them but a few I knew were pretty young judging from the tail size.

I do agree with Stacy that gouramis are not a good choice. They are in a similar family as bettas and don't get along. I also don't think it is easy to put females together.

I don't use heaters, but my fish are doing well. Then again, the room is very warm, so the water temps are high in the first place. :/

Regards,
Leaf

Diana, guppies, even females, should not be kept with Bettas under any circumstances. They are slow and will be harassed.
wink.png

Regards,
Leaf

We had a few guppies in with a betta once. Petsmart suggested them as tankmates. Day one, we were down one guppy no signs of it. I'm checking the filter thinking maybe someone got sucked in or something when the betta solved the mystery for me and ate another and then another... and after that I decided he earned his tank all to himself. It's hard to argue with that kind of conviction.

We had a few guppies in with a betta once.  Petsmart suggested them as tankmates.  Day one, we were down one guppy no signs of it.  I'm checking the filter thinking maybe someone got sucked in or something when the betta solved the mystery for me and ate another and then another...  and after that I decided he earned his tank all to himself.  It's hard to argue with that kind of conviction.

Exactly. My Bettas killed my male breeder gup. Needless to say, they are now in solitary confinement.

Regards,
Leaf

I have kept Bettas with male guppies that have very small tails. Male guppies with huge fancy tails attract too much attention and are too slow to be able to avoid attack of a male Betta.

You would never be able to keep a Betta with guppies that you are trying to breed. They would eat the fry as fast as the female has them.

Back
Top Bottom