1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Keeping chickens amused

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Faithcatherine, Jan 29, 2017.

1. Faithcatherine

Faithcatherine Just Hatched

Jan 29, 2017
    Caerphilly
    Hi, I'm new here and need some advice. I have two hybrid marans who have just starting laying. I've noticed they keep picking each others tail feathers, and although they don't seem to be causing damage I'm concerned. Atm they're in lock down following outbreaks of avian flu here which hopefully will end in March. The picking seems mutual, one isn't ganging up on the other, but what can i do to keep them amused until they can free range? I ordered some anti pick spray and give them lots of meal worms hidden about their run. I hope to free range them a lot but at the moment DEFRA is saying not to.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2017
  2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
  3. Faithcatherine

Faithcatherine Just Hatched

Jan 29, 2017
    Caerphilly
    Thank!

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!

Since they are confined due to the flu, providing them more space might really help.
    Looks, in your avatar pic, like you have one of those tiny coop/runs.
    Not sure what the confinement requirements are,
    but a big loop of tall welded wire fencing might give them some 'personal space'.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by