Keeping chickens (bantams) and quail together

annapablo

Hatching
7 Years
Sep 10, 2012
London, UK
I've got 4 quail (3 girls, 1 boy) and intend to hatch out a few more layers so i'll have about 8 in total, but i'd also like to keep a few bantam chickens as well - does anyone have experience of keeping them together in the same coop? i'm building a new space at the moment which will be 8'x6' and i would like to keep all the birds together. i can attach a 6'x2' run on the side for the chickens. i'm sure the size would be enough, but would they be happy together?
thanks

I did this once and aside from the illnesses chickens can pass to quail they also tormented them quite badly and chased and picked at them I now keep the two seperate.

It is not advised to keep quail and chickens together. And while many people do keep them together, it is not worth the risk of endangering your quail.

First off, chickens carry diseases that can kill your quail. Number one disease is Coryza, a highly contagious and deadly respiratory infection which causes a slow death of quail. Chickens will show no signs of being carriers of it.

Number two, chickens are a lot larger than quail, including bantams, and aggressive chickens have been known to kill quail, especially roosters.

Number 3, quail require a high protein diet of 24% to 28% protein, where as chickens only need 16% to 18% protein. Chicken feed has far too much calcium for male quail to digest and it can destroy the kidneys of the male quail.

Number 4, James needs another dime! (James is slowly getting rich on BYC posts. LOL)

So all this being said, it is best if you keep your quail in their own quarters. :)

Number 4, James needs another dime! (James is slowly getting rich on BYC posts. LOL)

So all this being said, it is best if you keep your quail in their own quarters. :)
did somebody say "Quarters"?
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom